Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: na
15-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

How can I get her to sit on my lap?

Yes I have only had my new cat two weeks, she's got loads better, isn't hiding much anymore (she does like being in a 'den' so need to get her an igloo type bed I think) but she's not massively affectionate...

So I'd love her to come and sit with us but she's still quite nervy, she get's rescue remedy in her water and I have a feliway plugged in at all times, unsure of what else to try.

You call her name and she comes, and she seems to enjoy being stroked (although she meows as you stroke her, think it's a Bengal thing) and will sit on the back of the sofa, on tuesday she sat next to me on the sofa, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do.

I just want her to be happy and affectionate, she was very affectionate in her previous home, but I don't know if that's to do with the bond being so strong as they had her from a kitten?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #2

Re: How can I get her to sit on my lap?

Hi, I think maybe you just need to give her a bit more time to adjust. Being in a new home is quite traumatic for a cat, and I know feliway can take a while to kick in. Doesn't sounds as if she's doing too badly though - sitting next to you is quite good progress,

Whilst remaining attentive and loving towards her, I would just step back from her slightly and let her make the running in the 'love' stakes for a bit. You might find that once you back off a little she'll actually come to you!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 short hair black rescues!
Wilki31 is Male
15-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Hi Babycat. It sounds like you are doing all the right things but I think it's all down to trust, getting used to you and new surroundings prehaps helped with bribes in the form of food! Our recently departed Katie took a couple of months to start coming round after we get her as a 4 year old rescue. We are going through similar experiences as you at the moment as we picked up a mother (2yo) and son (6 mth) rescue last weekend. It's likely to take a while and you'll need to be patient but I'm sure your puss will come round! Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

I agree, it's early days yet; give her some time to come around and adjust to the newness. And do let her make the overtures, I'm sure she'll eventually be a lap cat as she was so affectionate with her former family. Do let us know how things go!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Yes, I agree with all that's been said. My Kizzy is the most affectionate girl but I think she's only sat on my lap a couple of times in a whole year. Some cats just don't, but can still be very loving and happy with you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

That's true about some cats just not being lap cats. Leia rarely sits for very long on mine, but she sleeps next to me every night in bed. I think the lap is too wiggly for her!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
15-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

Felix is a very affectionate cat but doesn't sit on my lap that much but will quite happily sit next to me purring while I tickle him behind his ears.