Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 2 ginger toms
15-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #11

Re: Still scared of us 2 months down the line

They are Panga and Ginger. My other two boys (children) named them
They were never handled as kittens, we got them from the RSPCA and they had been locked in a caravan with 24 other cats!!! When we initially got them we thought the guy who's caravan it was lived with them but we found out afterwards that he didnt, just went in to feed them and change their litter!!!
Poor things!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #12

What a dreadful beginning in life for them, no wonder they're so wary! I think they've come a long way, they may never be cuddly lap cats but it's a great improvement, especially the nose-touching. Poor little mites, glad they've got a loving home with you now.

15-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #13

Their names are Panga and Ginger. My other two boys (children) named them.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
16-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #14

my younger cat who was 2 in march,has never really been a cuddly cat,ive had her since she was 6 wks old.she was cuddly when younger but now,i hardly see her,she uses the spare room as her space,only at nite when its dark and she feels safe will she come on to my bed for attention,i try every day to stroke her even for 2 mins

i have a bowl on my computer desk i use to give her treats so that i can get near her,i have never been able to brush her,and once a yr i take her to the vet for her flea injection

guess its just how she is

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 DSH,1 DLH & 1 Ragdoll
30-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #15

I've worked with feral cats for awhile now. I actually have one from a litter we fostered 3 years ago. She never came around to human contact, so while her brother and sister became the sweetest, most loving little friends, Claire just never could trust us. Therefore, we could never adopt her out as most people, like yourself, desire sweet and cuddly kitties (totally understandable) and she required a lot more work than most people are willing to put in. It is now 3 years later and she allows us to pet her at least once a day, allows us to brush her some and enjoys being in the same room with us, however, she still does not trust us enough to sit in our laps (she is considering it though and will come sit next to me sometimes and every so often she will sit in my lap but that typically lasts only about 5 minutes and the longest was 30 minutes....and she is a nervous wreck the entire time).

We have to give her a ton of space and never force ourselves on her. Ferals are some of the most rewarding babies when you finally earn their trust but you have to do it slowly and diligently. Adopting the older/sweeter cat can indeed be a great role model for your boys. Claire def. bonded with our kitties before she ever bonded with us and that gave her a 'safe' place to go (her kitty friends) when she got stressed. The same may work for your boys.

Take your time with them and don't push. As someone said above, they may never be the sweet cuddly babies you thought you were getting, but you can teach your boys so many different lessons with these guys (patience, understanding, tenderness) that they wouldn't get with a perfectly domesticated kitty.

Ferals can be a challenge but are more than worth the effort!

30-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #16

My boys are settling nicely now, they sleep on our bed every night now, play with our toes and come when they are called. We still can't approach them to stroke them but they are happy to be around us. If I am busy somewhere they come up and lie down about a meter away from me and sometimes sit quite close to me on the couch. We wouldnt give them up for the world, I absolutly adore them.

We have recently adopted a 4 year old female and she is very friendly, we were hoping she would be a good role model as well as helping out a friend who could no longer keep her. When we are stroking her and she is sitting on our lap and the boys seem are very interested with almost a curious look on their faces as to say.. hmmmm, but even if they dont get cuddly i dont really mind, its just they look so soft and huggable!

My son stroked the more timmid one, Ginger this morning, he said he put his hand out and tried then Ginger moved a little but settled down again to be stroked about 5 times so they are getting better. yay... like you said it takes time!

the only thing about getting the female, is that I had managed to toilet train the boys using the litterKwitter, but now they are back to square one cause I put down a litterl tray for her and they use it now too. oh well.

Thanks for all your advice.

Catsey Veteran

30-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #17

They're coming along very well! Seeing the female (what's her name, BTW?) enjoying a lap is apparently giving them ideas that it might not be so bad after all! Keep it up, and thanks for the update.

18-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #18

Yay, my boys are letting us stroke them now!!!
On there terms only of course. I cant approach them unless they are on our bed. And Ginger is still unsure but lets me stroke him, and Panga lets me scratch, tickle and stroke. Its soo rewarding.

18-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #19

Our new kitty is Spyro, I think she has definately helped. When I stroke her and giver her attention around the boys, they look very interested as if to say ' hey whats going on here!' Great to finally hear Panga purring, music to my ears

Catsey Veteran

18-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #20

That's such good news! Your patience and Spyro's example is really making a difference, Thanks for the update!