Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Humping!

I saw Pip humping his blanket this morning ..... it started off with butter making and then I am fairly sure went into an imitation hump ...... he has been neutered but obviously still has "the urge".

My question is really, do I just let him get on with it or try to distract him. He's not doing any harm.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #2

Re: Humping!

LOL!!!! more little mite!!

I think I would try and distract him

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

sorry to laugh Angie, Bernie is quite the humper too. We just let him get on with it, once he has done his deed he just wants a cuddle or to curl up for a nap. No harm done and he doesnt seem stressed or frustrated or anything. We have always put it down to him being neutered late but who knows...

Catsey Veteran

05-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #4

I'm not too worried!!! It's just that as he was "done" at 6 months and will be 10 months later in April - I didn't want him to develop an "obsessional" type behaviour if I could stop it by distracting him early on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

You could try a distraction but some times people can get too involved in trying to distract them every time that they infact create the animal to develope an obsession, if that makes sense...
If using a distraction just be quite casual about it and dont get intense over it.
I'm sure you are pretty laid back anyway and things will be just fine, just thought I'd mention the fact that sometimes people create the issue...
Rambling now so will just ****** off back to my corner

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

I've never had that happen with my boys except once, and that was a real try: Misty had gone into heat and was rolling and calling, so Sultan assumed the position, nape bite and all. then just stood there not knowing what to do next; very funny to watch.

I think I'd probably try to distract him, as Elaine says, casually, so he won't connect it with getting attention. It is Spring and the sap is rising, LOL.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

Myshka still does this . . . usually on my leg in the middle of the night Sometimes I'll just let him get it out of his system but sometimes I'll distract him with a bit of a stroking and he quickly settles down to sleep.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
06-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #8

This made me have a good old laugh sorry couldn't help it. Felix hasn't done this yet. Getting him neutered soon just got to ring up the vets. I mentioned the vets earlier when I was talking on the phone to a friend and the dog ran a mile the cat just looked at me looking puzzled

Catsey Veteran

06-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #9

Well, I think I did a good low key distraction this morning. Kizzy was on the bed too, Pip started butter making, so I gave Kizzy and good stroking and tickling and then moved on to Pip, rolled him over, gave him the tummy tickle - he responded by his usual little nip, which isn't a nip really and licking my hand, then he rolled too much and fell off the bed! He is such a clown and loves to roll off things, and make it look like he hasn't done it on purpose!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #10

Excellent tactic Angie! When mine roll off things they will immediately start furiously licking and get all agitated as if to say 'stop laughing I . . . ahem . . . meant to do that'!