Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Cat Flap Training

We've been trying to train Dylan to use the cat flap but he really isn't getting how to use it! We've tried posting him through the cat flap and we've tried treats! He goes out the cat flap happily but insists on coming in the window! Any other ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #2

Re: Cat Flap Training

Sorry, indoor cats only so no experience with cat flaps. Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #3

Never had one, but my friend used to put the cat out before due to be fed. Shut the curtains so you can't be bribed to let them in. Then she would make 'I'm making your breakfast' noises in the kitchen. It didn't take long for Leo to learn the cat flap worked both ways.

Let us know how you get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #4

When we moved in here there was a cat flap already, They found it very easy to use Dylan will get the hang of it, Mine is in a french door so on the other side there was a little step which the landlord put there for his cat. Even though guinness is large he can get through one but sometimes dangles there for a few second while he gets his bottom out. Simon used to use it both ways but to be truefull i dont like them. I am waiting for it too be taken out. Mine is taped up both ways with strong tape. It drove me batty with the constance tapping. Another friend of mine has a neighbours cat come in he doesnt mind this but it is a magnetic one the other cat has worked how to do it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #5

I would try Calismum's advice RCR to see if you can get Dylan to use the IN as well as the OUT. Currently I have a magnetic cat flap that Kizzy uses, but am considering getting a microchip sort. I think I only have the one magnet and so once Pip has his chip fitted I think that will be a better option, and will ensure that other cats can't come in.

Good luck with Dylan!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

He got the hang of it but we've had to lock it sue to Dylan bringing prey in and letting them run all round the downstairs

(Sorry for not updating it earlier - forgot to )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

I thought I'd look for tips ..... Pip is useless using the cat flap! He just can't get the pushing idea - in or out. At least that means he doesn't go out at night.

I think he needs a bit of rugby practice!