Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #31

Re: Free range or not?

It is much easier for us to buy free range organic food, but this is a much harder option when it comes to pet food! I struggle to buy pet food free from 'animal derivatives' as it is!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #32

I tried to get Leia to eat the organic food in tins from Whole Foods but she hates it! So, it's the commercial stuff for her. And, DM I share your feelings toward tripe and liver!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #33

It really depends on WHY you chose to buy free range.

1. Is it because you cant stand the suffering of intensive farmed animals and therefore an animal welfare issue.

or

2. Is it because you feel you are eating better foods by buying free range so not an animal welfare issue.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
13-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna

1. Is it because you cant stand the suffering of intensive farmed animals and therefore an animal welfare issue.

or

2. Is it because you feel you are eating better foods by buying free range so not an animal welfare issue.
Can't it be the two??? I think we all have to take some small steps to a better world and won't conquer it in a day. So every little change you do make will go towards helping so those who don't buy intense farmed animals to eat can do so knowing that they are having a go and can make other changes as we go on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
13-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna

or

Both really. I think any animal should be able to live to a reasonable standard, and I also dont want to eat food from chickens that have had their hocks burned to the bone because of poor living standards.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #36

It's not an either-or IMO, but both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #37

Yes, definitely both for me and most I would imagine.I think babycakes is right, we need to take small steps for a better world.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #38

Me too - both are equally important considerations, we own it to ourselves and to those whose lives we have control over (the animals we eat).

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
15-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #39

I think we should all be vegetarian

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggy Toms and a Princess
15-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #40

Having visited an intensive pig farm and studied environmetal pollution which included intensive farming and the use of one animals faeces in anothers food to increase profit I am whole heartedly behind the campaign for free range and where ever possible organic meat.

I understand that people are on a tight budget (I am a single mum of two !) - but the only reason intensive farming exists is to make a profit, there is no priority for health or welfare of the "product".

We have free range organic meat ocasionally and get at least 2 or 3 meals form a Sunday joint - so cost wise I think it pays for it's self.

trouble is now I am looking at what the cats are eating and am uncomfortable knowing that the bulk of the meat in their food is intensivly farmed

We live in a free country (a debat for another day ) and we can make our own decisions, the important thing is that they are informed decisions ! - right I will get off the soap box now.