Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
19-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #31

Re: Can cats love there owners?

Hmmmmm love?! Its a difficult one...love is a human emotion and as humans and as emotional creatures we put our emotions onto others, including animals. Now I'm not saying animals dont love, its just not really the same as 'love'. They 'need' us to provide for them as they have been so domesticated throughout the ages, I would like to think my cats loved me but I also think they could love anyone else that provided for them the lifestyle I lavish on them! LOL But they each enjoy my company in their own ways and I know what they each enjoy and provide it unconditionally where I can *soppy*!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
20-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #32

I think cats CAN love their owners & I know for certain that Oli loves Hugh & I!!

The reason I say this is because we regularly leave Oli with Hughs mum and brother, who both adore him very much. He will get food off them and will have the occasional stroke, but other than that he will keep himself to himself. As soon as we are around he wants cuddles, kisses and lots of attention.

He is very much like a dog because he follows us around and when we take him to visit relatives he stays by our side too. His affection certainly does not change towards us because another person happens to be feeding him for a few days. In Oli's eyes they provide his food and thats about it.

We love our baby boy, just like he loves us - its unconditional!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
29-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #33

'Love' is, in my opinion, far too specific a word. There are many different types of love, many different levels of feelings and actions related to 'love'. As such, I believe that although we shall never know for certain, it is highly possible for a cat to love a human.

They are independant, but certainly depend on us to an extent. Otherwise they would not return to us if they are outdoor cats, and if they were 100% independant, they would not give us the time of day.

I suffer with depression, and when I used to cry a lot - my cat Tiger would choose that moment to meow at me, crawl onto my lap and harass and bug me, padding at my chest and headbutting me, until I was distracted enough to stop crying.
I have not had a person care for me like that, but I have had a cat do so. That was, to me, love. I didn't give her anything to make her do it, I didn't even have to pay attention to her, but she stuck by me.

Now my kitten Honey is as clingy as can be, and follows me absolutely everywhere. Again, to me that is a type of love, because I am his carer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #34

I can relate to that, Darky. When I was a moody teenager I'd be in my room crying about my latest woes/problems etc. and my cat Scamper (who I grew up with) did the same...he would come and comfort me...nothing to do with food, he just knew I was unhappy and was trying to comfort me.....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
29-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #35

I think yes, cats do love their owners. If they didn't love us, especially outdoor cats, it would be quite easy for them to find someone else to feed them or find their own food.

Then again, some days Patchypoos hates us :P

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
29-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #36

I think they love us (I hope so anyway!!). I agree that they can pick up on our moods and comfort us - and they have no ulterior motive in doing that.

Wherever I am in the house, there is always at least one of the cats with me looking for a cuddle; and apart from Bernard they all sleep on my bed with me every night.

I agree that it is more important that I love them and they are what I come home to at the end of every day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
found this article related to this topic:

Love of a Cat

Cats are said to be independent, aloof, and not in need of company except on their terms. This is true only of some cats; certainly not all. Cats raised by people from an early age either think they are almost human, or that the human is almost a cat.

In fact, throughout a cat-person bond, the two may switch roles without realizing it. On occasion, a cat will bring home a dead or half-dead animal as a token of her love and respect (a touching, if gruesome, method of confirming the bond).

Bringing home “love offerings” of this type is a sign of attachment and belonging. There are others that require less clean up. When the bond is strong, a cat will:

Tend to follow you around. She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down). Your cat may jump in your lap or may just find a chair nearby. Either way, she prefers to spend time with you.

Become slightly depressed when you leave, and greet you enthusiastically upon your return. She may learn to recognize the sound of your car pulling up and run to the door, expecting your presence.

Send subtle cat signals of affection to you throughout the day. These often take the form of classic “cat kisses” – staring at you adoringly, then squinting or slowly closing her eyes.

Send not-so-subtle signals, such as rubbing her head upon you (marking you with her scent), and of course, purring.

Lying on her back, with her stomach exposed. This is a sign of trust, because your cat is now in a vulnerable position. Many owners mistakenly think this is a request for a belly rub. It usually isn't.

This is a cat’s affection at its most intense. They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you. There’s no difficulty to describe this sort of relationship as love.
I would suppose that cats are animals of habit and the absense of their companion (of whatever species) triggers a "where have they gone, can I find them" type of response.

CJK wrote above: "She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down)."

That's so typical isn't it - and well expressed!

CJK also wrote "They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you."

I'm thinking of my cat Smudge. She has passed on now sadly, but she used to jump up onto the computer desk in the evening when I was playing solitaire and actually curl her claws around one of my fingers - if that's not holding hands!!!!

A most interesting debate!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #38

my cats have all been moggies and all loved me in very sweet, unique ways.

my first cat was a big male, the kitten of the cat my mum adopted when she got married. he was very independant, never sat on my knee etc. he was only allowed in the kitchen and outside, never in the living room or bedrooms (my mum was allergic) and so he wasn't very affectionate. he was also very nonplussed with strangers. but when i went on holiday with a friend for a week he sat by the door from the kitchen into the rest of the house (which i always come through every morning for school) pretty much all day every day and stopped eating until i got home a week later. he also used to go for 'walks' with around our (quite large) garden and surrounding countryside. he wouldn't walk beside me, but if i went for a wander, he wouldn't be far away up a tree or hiding in a bush. it didn't at all feel like the blind obedience of a dog, and like i said he wasn't a lap-cat, but there was a huge bond there. i was devastated when he had to be put down. (a tumour in his stomach).

my other cat, sophie, is a female torti from the rescue shelter. we got her when she was about 2. she wouldn't let anyone touch her tail or rear-end, and was very wary of men. so we think she had been abused as a younger cat (perhaps picked up and swung by her tail?) when we first got her she was very timid and flighty. she loves outside, and as we had to keep her indoors the first wee while when we got her, all she did was sit by the window. i am a HUGE cat person (as i'm sure you all are ) but the most so out my family. so i gave her lots of attention but was never the one to feed her (my mum did this). so it can't be a 'the-person-who-feeds-me' love thing.

anyway, when she started to settle down it turns out she wasnt a lap-cat either. like my old cat, she was onl allowed in the kitchen and outside (but we had an aga so she didn't seem to mind lack of beds or couches ) she would often sit and stare for hours at me, when i was eating dinner or watching tv perhaps, with the 'love-you' eyes and slow blinks.

soon after we got her and she was allowed outside (she had a cat-flap, so could come and go as she pleased) i went round to a friends house for an afternoon bbq. we lived at the bottom of a private drive, about 50 metres long, and had a lot of garden. so she (and all our cats) have never strayed beyond the garden or even half way up the drive. but as i walked to my friends up the drive, she followed me. she stopped when i got to teh top of the drive and meowed a few times. i just thought she'd go home eventually.

i walked home about 5 hours later, and it was raining, when who should pop out of the bushes but sophie! i can't say what she'd been doing in those 5 hours but she was waiting (it seems slightly anxiously!) for me to get home - in the rain too! again, with my old male cat, not the same affection as a dog, but a very strong bond.

she also used to frequently leave me about 2 or 4 dead mine and shrews in a row on my window ledge (outside). a lovely wake-up present!

i do miss my cats so (sophie is still alive and well but living with my dad still.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
23-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
found this article related to this topic:

Love of a Cat

Cats are said to be independent, aloof, and not in need of company except on their terms. This is true only of some cats; certainly not all. Cats raised by people from an early age either think they are almost human, or that the human is almost a cat.

In fact, throughout a cat-person bond, the two may switch roles without realizing it. On occasion, a cat will bring home a dead or half-dead animal as a token of her love and respect (a touching, if gruesome, method of confirming the bond).

Bringing home “love offerings” of this type is a sign of attachment and belonging. There are others that require less clean up. When the bond is strong, a cat will:

Tend to follow you around. She may not follow immediately, but after a moment or two she might casually saunter into the room where you’re sitting (as if she’s trying to play the whole thing down). Your cat may jump in your lap or may just find a chair nearby. Either way, she prefers to spend time with you.

Become slightly depressed when you leave, and greet you enthusiastically upon your return. She may learn to recognize the sound of your car pulling up and run to the door, expecting your presence.

Send subtle cat signals of affection to you throughout the day. These often take the form of classic “cat kisses” – staring at you adoringly, then squinting or slowly closing her eyes.

Send not-so-subtle signals, such as rubbing her head upon you (marking you with her scent), and of course, purring.

Lying on her back, with her stomach exposed. This is a sign of trust, because your cat is now in a vulnerable position. Many owners mistakenly think this is a request for a belly rub. It usually isn't.

This is a cat’s affection at its most intense. They can’t hold your hand, and they are not given to jumping up and kissing you. There’s no difficulty to describe this sort of relationship as love.
The only sign of the above Beauty doesn't give is the bringing back dead things. She can't hunt, tries to catch things but they are too quick for her.

In answer to the question Beauty does love me and I adore her!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
23-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #40

Only two sentient beings can get away with waking me at some God awful hour in the morning by nuzzling my ear-and I try to discourage my wife