Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
17-11-2005, 12:46 AM   #1

flea-bites

well its official, we have a lock down due to Elsa's cling on friend, CLementine and the dogs have got fleas, mum is at present washing on boil wash,all our bedding as the pets all go on there, cushion covers etc. Tommorow all the sofs and matress's are being steamed cleaned, just incane, and well i was wondering any help with flea bites im covered in them and they are killing, i even have 2 at the top of my legs near the nther regions everywhere is painful, any ideas for flea bites?

BTW this is a picture of my wrist, and thats nothing compared to my legs........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #2

Re: flea-bites

Luke, I thought you were told to keep her quiet, alone, away from other pets and she had been front lined.
Well as you know I brought little visitors back with me from a dog the other week and the best advice I was given is anit hiystomenes (sp), lavender oil and or tee tree oil plus plenty of changes in t shirts ect

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
17-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #3

Oh no, poor you. I find calamine lotion is good or a dab of tea tree oil - might sting though! Antihistamines wil help if you have an allergic reaction to the bites, but it doesn't look as though you have from the photo. Hope they clear up soon!

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
17-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #4

thanks everyone, yes jac Elsa is isolated from the other pets but it would appear her guests had taken residence on the other prior to Elsa becoming ill Elsa is fine but the other 3 are all being chased around with the frontal spray bottle

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #5

get some front line in the morning and spray for your furnature ect. It's not pretty buts needs do as needs must.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #6

Poor old LUke, you have had your fair share of troubles lately!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #7

You need a different spray for the house/furniture than for the animals. Before Frontline came along we used to use Nuvan (from the vets) There were 2 kinds, yellow can for the animals and orange for the house. Isn't the theory that for every one flea you find there are 20 in the surroundings. They turn themselves into spores or something if there are no victims and can survive years. The special spray just stops them coming alive again. The spray you put on the animal works when the flea bites the pet and receives the poison. Therefore, if the flea is kipping in the carpet, it won't die from spraying the animal.
Does that make sense? I know what I'm trying to say!

As for you Luke, and keeping them at bay till the problem is totally resolved, get a bottle of oil of lavender. Sprinkle a few drops on hankies or old bits of cloth, let it dry and then tuck the hankies about your person, in your bed etc. You can also leave some in the animals' beds.

Piriton or Piriteze will lessen the desire to scratch yourself raw!

Good luck

(What will you do if you ever have a peaceful, non-dramatic day ........ )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #8

There are several sprays you can get from the vets for the house and bedding. Acclaim is just one but there are others and they are very good.

Regarding your flea bites go to the chemist and get an anti-histamine cream. You could also try calamine lotion to soothe them. If they become a little infected try a dab of germoline..hth

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
17-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #9

thankyou everyone, they seem to be going down now, and the spray for the furniture has come in very handy, now just need to get the animals sorted....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #10

When we deflead our house Thomas and OH were always getting bitten by the fleas.

What worked for them was bathing once a day in a warm bath with E45 bath oil and before going to bed putting some E45 cream on the really bad itchy spots.