Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #1

Any ideas

just wondering if anyone has any ideas about our situation.
As forum members now know we have two cats, we are due to get a puppy at the end of feb.
Our problem is the cats who live nearby, basicaly they are neglected. They were house cats for years untill their owner decided she no longer wanted them in the house. The situation has been going on now for a number of years.
Basicaly the cats live outdoors with no shelter all the time, they have even been left out in the extreme conditions we have had lately. They are fed most days, but now for instance their food is frozen.
We cannot bear this and allow the cats into our house, i believe they would have froze to death if we hadnt.
This person was a friend and we are reluctant to fall out with a close neighbour as it would make life difficult.
However my husband has spoken several times to her about the cats and on the last occassion spelled out that she was being cruel and that the cats had no life.
We had found a shelter willing to rehome as long as she rang them herself. I am sorry to say that she hasn't done this.
When we get our pup it is unlikely that the cats will be able to access our house as they are not used to dogs.
We are very worried about their welfare

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
10-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

Re: Any ideas

Do you have a shed or garage or anything the cats could sleep in? Have you rang the rescue again to try to get across the fact the other person isn't looking after them properly?

Get the people at the rescue to come out and see the cats themselves if the cats are in poor condition. That's all I can think of at the moment ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #3

I know this puts you in a difficult situation Shelley, but IMO you have to decide whether a civil relationship with your neighbour is worth more than the well being of her cats. I think you need to try again to get her to ring the shelter that's willing to take the cats in or get her to say that you can do it. In that case it would probably be worth trying to get her to sign something to that effect.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Thanks for your suggestons. RCR the cats dont look in too bad condition. They just lead a miserable life. it upsets us that they were once pretty well treated and now are unwanted.
angie she told my husband that she cant get rid because of her son. He is a man who lives at home and as far as we can see doesnt bother with tham at all except to perhaps say hi when he walks past them. we have asked him to try and get the cats indoors again but it's not happened.
we realy dont want to fall out as it will make living next to her realy bad. Also my husband has already been very direct in what he's said. Some people are so thick scinned

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #5

That's even more difficult isn't it? Sounds as if there may be issues between the woman and her son too. All you and your OH can do is keep trying ............. ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

How very sad. I have no ideas other than those mentioned. Those poor cats.........