Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
21-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #1

Hills Light for Senior

Now my cat is now 7, according to Hills, she should be having their senior food. She has lived for a good couple of years on their Adult Light which comes in a handy 5 kg bag, but I notice that they only sell the senior in a 1.5 kg bag. Which seems stupid to me, as the 5 kg bag lasts me about 3 months (my other cat is on a different diet).

Can anyone tell why Hills are being so stupid in this policy of not supplying larger bags (after all many other senior brands do so) and also would it be ok to instead carry on feeding her the ordinary Hills Light adult for the next couple of years? If not can anyone recommended a light variety of food which is easily available online (not Pets at Home brand or IAMS)? The only alternative I can think of is giving her something like Hills R/D or Royal Canin Obesity. She needs a light variety of food as she is indoors only and I have found that indoor only food makes her more prone to furballs (since I weaned her a couple of years ago to Hills Light she has only ever had 3 furballs whereas with the food she has been on before she had furballs every other day).

She seems to be thriving on Hills Light, I am just annoyed that beyond 1.5 kg bags they dont make any other bigger ones for senior cats (and let's face it, there are plenty of senior cats out there).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #2

Re: Hills Light for Senior

I kept my dog on adult light until she was 10 then moved to senior. She is still going strong.

I'd try and see what the nutritional difference is (I think reduced sodium is one of the things) and then decide if your cat will be fine on that.

I'm sure someone will be along who has pondered same thing. I'm sure there was a thread recently about senior diets.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
21-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Thanks. I have reordered Hills Light in Adult. She seems to be fine, and she also pinches my other cats food, which is Royal Canin Renal. So now she is getting older (though she seems not to be ageing) at least the Renal food won't play havoc with her kidneys.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

Hills seem to be playing a game with their food at the moment- they have changed all the names and the small bags have become smaller- they used to be 2kg but are now 1.5kg, I wonder if prices were adjusted accordingly.

To be honest, I've never fed senior food and they have all done fairly well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #5

I thought, possibly mistakenly, that 10 was when a cat was considered senior. Mine always cotinued on their regular diet for the rest of their lives; disliked and would not eat senior food.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
22-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #6

My George is 8 years old and was put on the hills light in an effort to get some weight off him... to no avail... so we we have changed to the Hills Prescription MD and he is losing a tiny amount... but at least its a loss....(80 gr in 10 weeks)

He really likes this food... more so than the light one... and i said to my vet that whilst i know he is a bit heavy... im happy for his life to be a bit shorter and him be a happy cat.. than to keep changing his food in an effort for him to lose weight at a more acceptable rate and stressing him out...which it does...
one thing my vet said to me though was the MD is good from the perspective that it has a low glycemic index... which gives him a better chance of not developing diabetes...