Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: A little kitty
19-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

What do you think about this?

i found a list of things that you shouldnt give you pets and on the list was milk and tuna fish

4. Milk is also not good for animals because many of them are lactose intolerant and will develop diarrhea. Pets often lack the enzyme that is required to break down the sugar in milk and this can cause them to develop vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms.
Even though they like it, especially cats, refrain from giving your pets milk

9. It may come as a surprise to many that tuna fish is bad for cats. The feline heart muscle requires an amino acid called taurine to maintain normal strength and function. Regular tuna fish for humans does not have this amino acid and cats that eat too much tuna fish will develop heart problems.
If you want to give your cats that taste of tuna that they love, just make sure it is tuna fish for cats which has this amino acid added.

I didnt know that and oliver has milk and if i am making tuna i always give him some. he goes mad as soon as he smells it. he loves it.

What do you guys think. Do you give yours milk and tuna fish?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
19-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Re: What do you think about this?

I never give my cats milk not even the special cat milks which are fine. Try Oliver with cat milk instead I am sure he will love it.

As for the tuna a little bit won't harm him as long as he is getting good quality cat food. Tuna as a treat now and again is fine.

Welcome to catsey by the way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #3

M&M are both on special diets so they are very limited to what they are aloud to eat, but yes I have heard that milk and Tuna isn`t good for them , but I don`t think just little amounts as a treat will hurt unless they have got intolerances to them .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #4

Did you also know that tinned tuna (for people) doesn't have the omega3 that fresh tuna has? The canning process destroys it unfortunately.

As Kay says, a bit of tuna as a treat is fine. Some cats are milk intolerant and some are OK. You could always use the lactose free milk for humans that is now available. Mine won't touch cats milk - Kizzy only drinks water, Pip likes water (from the tap) but does have some milk now and then and has no ill effects from it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: A little kitty
19-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Thank you. Yeh he really enjoys his milk and we have got him some kitten milk but if we run out and cant get to the shop then he does have normal milk.

he only has a little bit when i open a tin ( just covers end of my finger) so he will be fine lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #6

interesting Oli.Boo , i'd heard that Tuna wasn't good for cats but didn't know why. Our cats love milk, i have recently begun buying whiskas cat milk for them but will probs look out for some lactose free milk as angie has suggested