Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
10-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #1

Iams

I think I've discovered why Dylan's so reluctant to eat the iams food since the first time I put it down for him Went through to my grandma's bedroom looking for him (usually after eating he disappears out the cat flap if it's iams food) and found Dylan had thrown up the iams food he'd had at lunchtime (had been trying to get it used but think we'll put it out for the birds now) so had to clear it up but don't know what's in the food that caused him to be sick

He has no problem with other brands of cat food (sick wise it's just iams

What's in iams that could cause Dylan to vomit every time he eats it?

Catsey Veteran

11-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Re: Iams

I've found the ingredients of the Iams cat food Dylan has but not sure if any of the ingredients would cause an upset tummy.

Chicken (>26%), maize, wheat, animal fat, dried beet pulp, chicken digest, dried whole egg, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, brewer's dried yeast, fish oil, DL-methionine, sodium chloride.

Is there anything there that could cause that reaction in cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

I'm not sure RCR - some cats don't tolerate cereals as well as others. It may simply be a case that Iams doesn't suit Dylan's tum. My Smudge ate Iams Light for many years without problems.

Catsey Veteran

11-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I'm not sure RCR - some cats don't tolerate cereals as well as others. It may simply be a case that Iams doesn't suit Dylan's tum. My Smudge ate Iams Light for many years without problems.
Iams Light is what Dylan's on angie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #5

Have you tried something else that suits him? I'm sure other manufacturers make a light variety - you could always try being cheeky and contact them and ask for a sample!

This company has started to import a cereal free food for dogs and cats from U.S. I asked for a sample, which was certainly eaten but it was when Kizzy was newly with us and had her "windy problem", so I had to make a quick decision to stick to one food and she is happy with Royal Canin Digestive Comfort.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #6

Can't comment on this as I've never fed Iams. Also, have never had what I'd considered a food-related vomiting episode; when it rarely happens it was always the cat bolting down the food too fast.

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #7

With other cat food it's due to Dylan bolting it, I'm pretty sure with iams it's something in the food.

He's on purina one proplan now and that seems to suit him. Tried him on Royal Canin and he didn't like that one bit (he went "That's Highly Poisonous Mum!!!")

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
12-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #8

My Tigger is fed on Hills Light, which is a light food. She has never had any problem with it, and the only time she has thrown up is when she has ate it too fast. She has been on it for well over a year.

She used to be on Purina Pro Plan before that and she used to get tons of furballs on that (two a week). Since she swapped onto Hills Light she has only ever had one furball.

Cats owned: tuxedo
03-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #9

My cats *hated* Iams, though the vet tried to strongarm me into feeding it to them. When I said how much they hated it, she said, "I don't like eating my broccoli, either."

Uh huh. You know, I want my cats to live lives of unbridled delight, not broccoli-eating.