Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed tortoishell
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

Wailing Poppy

For the last couple of months Poppy has been on a prescription diet, (Hills) by the vet as she is still a little overweight. Trouble is, she still keeps yelling for more and will not keep quiet until she gets more than the 45g she was prescribed for. (she weighs a stone whatever that is in kg I don't know) She gets plenty of water whenever she needs it. She needs to get down to 4kg I think Last time at the vet she was 6.7
The practice nurse is going to put her on another diet, but I don't know if that will help, as she is so lazy, and half heartedly plays with her toys, if in the garden she just sits and watches the fish in the pond! She was a rescue cat we got from our vet, possibly a middle aged cat, but is very loving and 'talks' a lot, but this diet is driving me crazy with her wailing as if she's come from the desert! Any ideas?
Serena

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #2

Re: Wailing Poppy

I appreciate your problem with Poppy Serena - well the losing weight rather than the wailing. My Kizzy is on a diet - she has to lose around a kilo. She gets 25g of her biscuits (Royal Canin Digestive Comfort plus some Hills Science adult) twice a day. I have to stop her eating our kitten's biscuits and vice versa. I am lucky she doesn't cry because sometimes it is obvious she is hungry and can't have any more food until the next morning or evening. She is only a youngish cat - between 1 and 2 years and so we are trying to up her exercise level and having a kitten has helped with that. It's just the look she gives us, fair tears your heartstrings.

Is Poppy on a light prescription diet?

I do sympathise and of course they don't understand why they must eat less.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #3

Dylan needs to lose a little bit of weight as well, the best thing to do is say NO MORE in a firm voice and not put any more down, or alternatively if Poppy's not too overweight, give her a few pieces more after she's eaten what she's got then not give her any more.

Or put half of what she's allowed down first then when she's finished that put the other half down.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #4

I sympathise, my Diva is a large girl and she was the same when she was put on a diet by the vet.
Is it possible to supplement her a with a little wet food? I have heard of people who have in the past added some bran to some wet food to bulk it out a bit but please get advise from your vet before doing anything like that.
A laser pen can sometimes get Eva off her fat bum for a bit of excersise.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed tortoishell
09-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #5

Thanks very much to everyone who replied. I will try to say No More but it is hard when a cat looks at you it almost melts you completely, she doesn't have wet food as the vet said dry food (a light prescription diet) I have put down half in the morning and half in the afternoon yet she still tries to yell at me, but she is going on a new diet which I am picking up from the vet tomorrow will let you know what it is and how she gets on with it later. She does try to test me by making all sorts of noises, like a growl /purr and humming to get me to let me her have 'just a little more' but have to be firm. but the look she gives me almost makes me forget to be firm. Will write in a weeks time - Thanks to all again Serena

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

I'll never understand why vets put cats on a dry food only diet
But good luck with it all any way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #7

I do agree with Elaine there; cannot understand their reasoning. Good luck, do check back in with results.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
09-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #8

How much is she supposed to eat. I am sat here thinking about what a vet said about guinness once. He then was on a perscription only diet dry as well we was feeding him for the weight he was not the weight he needed to be. Also cats dont loose weight very quickly you might not even notice it at all. Poopy will weigh about 14lb 14oz so over a stone dont worry it will come off Guinness has lost some weight gradulaly and now can chase kado all the time but still goes for a sleep outside the shop

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #9

Can you maybe try splitting it into more small meals then (perhaps) she won't feel so hungry - or it won't be so long between meals.

Cats do have the ability to put on a starving face and tug at these old heartstrings. Must be hard if she tugs and shouts!!

Good luck.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
10-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #10

Did the vet (or vet nurse) suggest a puzzle feeder? You may want to try one of those. That way she gets exercise but the thing is that she has to work for it, therefore taking her mind off food, and hopefully stopping meowing.

Or like other people have said, try giving her food more often but splitting her food into smaller quantities.