Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #51

Re: Shock

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #52

They said it was something that can just happen - and by having it once there's always a chance of recurrence
She was very poorly at the time, not eating, drinking or going to the toilet, high temperature for three days and on a drip. Would hate to go through that again but the vets were very good allowing us to go in to see her whenever we wanted.

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #53

Oh Mags that must have been so awful At least the vets let you visit often and you could still see her, that must have made things easier for her also. Lets hope that it was a one off and it never happens again. I haven't heard of it but I know pancreatitis in humans can be very nasty. Does she have to have any special diet or medication to try and prevent a reoccurence, Mags?

Global Moderator

17-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #54

When we brought her back home, she wasn't eating very much so we had to tempt her with chicken and pilchards(in tomato sauce!), then gradually we got her on to six or seven very small meals a day.
Although she had fresh water in her bowl every day, I never actually saw her drink so I even stopped her biscuits, thinking that the dry food may have caused it

She is absolutely fine now, on two meals a day, healthy appetite........but I still never see her drink anything

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #55

My cats never drink very much on just tinned food, but if they have biscuits they seem to have an insatiable thirst A couple of my cats have taken to a raw meat/bone diet since we have put the dogs on it and they don't seem to drink much either.

Global Moderator

17-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #56

If I put s/skimmed milk down she'll drink it all but they say that milk is bad for cats don't they.......you can't win!!

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 11:10 PM   #57

I don't think that milk is actually bad for cats, it's just that a lot of cats can't tolerate milk. If she is ok with it Mags, I wouldn't worry and I would keep giving it to her.

Global Moderator

17-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #58

Oh, I might just give it to her ocassionally then PK. As long as she doesn't put on too much weight - she's a little podge now!

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #59

I would rather my pets a little overweight than under weight. If they do become ill at least they have some reserves I once had a cat who was quite tubby. He became very ill and lost so much weight he was like skin and bone. He did eventually make a full recovery but I dread to think what would have happened if he had not had some weight on him to see him through the illness.

Global Moderator

17-03-2005, 11:26 PM   #60

Oh yes, I didn't look at it that way.