Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

diabetic?

Both my Mom & Dad were diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago! They went for their flu jab & decided to have an MOT whilst there & some bloods taken, turned out they are both diabetic! Mom is 61 & Dad is 63...Just wondered if anyone here is & how do you manage?
My Dad was a complete Chocaholic & a person who loves food, any food just food! I've been to see them this afternoon & it's such a shame. They gave me bags of chocolate & biscuits to bring home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #2

Re: diabetic?

Someone was going to have a test for diabetes on here think it was Alex?

I know a few people who are diabetic either controled by insulin or tablets and they always seem to be fine to me never seen them stopped from doing anything.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #3

Fortunately there has been no association with diabetes in my family at all, but I just wanted to wish your parents well with coping with their new regime, Smudgley ...... I hope it doesn't interfere with their lives too much...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #4

I think Sweet mentioned that her partner was diabetic?? I really hope they come to terms with having diabetes. It's really not a life sentence just a change in lifestyle as it were.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Hope your parents are manging to adjust ok Smudgley! Yes it was me who wants to go for a test. Going sometime this week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #6

Wish them both well S. In a way it might be better for both of them to be diagnosed and have to change/adjust their eating habits at the same time. They wil probably control it with pills/diet, so no daily jabs horror.
There are tons of recipe books etc and lots of advice on the DiabetesUK website.
No more choccies though - much easier that way than 'diabetic choc'. Hope they can adjust to treat on strawberries/glass of wine etc.

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #7

Well to be honest I think they are coping very well & as you all said, it's just a change of lifestyle. My Dad has glaucoma & was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago (given the all clear a few months back after his treatment) so diabetes is not too scary for them in the grand scheme of things. I think they are both feeling the benefits of it as my Mom said she is not so tired now & they both seem to have much more energy. I know a few diabetics, one poor man I know can't control his very well & is always having "hypos" & then has a fit! (scary stuff)
Mom & Dad are both on tablets at the mo & hopefully will stay on them.

thanks for all your good wishes folks. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #8

My mum was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago. She was fine one day although had lost a lot of weight in previous months. She was bedridden for a few days before doctors decided she needed hospital help. When I went to see her I really thought that was it.

Well done for your mum and dad to have a MOT as it was caught before it got out of hand. Took my mum months to recover - she could hardly walk as she had been in bed for so long. Lost all her muscles.

She is still not back to her old self but manages fine with the foods she has to eat. Its my dad that has been affected more as he treats her like a baby now and wont let her have anything unless it is to the exact minute and he sorts all her food and medicines out for her.

I think she resents not being able to eat ANYTHING she wants, but knows she has no choice. There are many diabetic chocolates and sweets so its not all bad!!

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #9

Sorry to hear your mom was knocked off her feet Donna.. Sounds like she's getting used to things now though. Your Dad is looking after her, bless him that's sweet. I think it's bizzare that my Mom & Dad are both diabetic & both diagnosed at the same time, but in a way it's nice as they are adjusting together.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Sorry to hear your mom was knocked off her feet Donna.. Sounds like she's getting used to things now though. Your Dad is looking after her, bless him that's sweet. I think it's bizzare that my Mom & Dad are both diabetic & both diagnosed at the same time, but in a way it's nice as they are adjusting together.
If my mum had been careful about her health like your mum and dad and had a checkup then she would not of had to suffer weeks of hospital and still struggling now. She has aged so much.

Well done to your parents for being responsible about their health