Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest
04-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #21

Re: showing cats

thanks girls for the comments, it was a shame we stopped showing but it was no fun with the big associations. There are a few small one like the Independent Pet Cat Society and they are friendlier because not so many breeders involved. They also encourage more pets nd moggies to be involved which is great. I was with them for a while but it got embarrassing when Kevin got Cat of the Year 3 yrs in a row! I moved house and went through a divorce at the same time so I just drifted away and have not got back to it yet. I am hoping ot find a Maine Coon girl soon to add to our family and I have thought of showing her too. So if anyone knows of one let me know!
cheers

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #22

What a shame that some breeders have to think they are better that all others with regard to showing

I hope you find your Maine Coon girl soon MCS and good luck if you get back into showing again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #23

Never been involved with showing cats - but have shown dogs on & off for many years. (not any more though)
Sounds like cat showing is more fairly judged than dog showing. A lot of dog show judges tend to judge the one on the wrong end of the lead if you know what I mean

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-09-2005, 11:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
A lot of dog show judges tend to judge the one on the wrong end of the lead if you know what I mean
@ Smudgley!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
05-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #25

im on a few MC groups and when i first joined it was very hard to ask quetions i now think i have 1 or 2 friends there that i can now ask what i like to (and my girls breeder as well)

i have heard some nice and not so nice stories about showing cats and i dont think its for me, well not yet (skin to thin )

thanks for the info MCS

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #26

I think you have summed it up Nat by saying you have to be thick skinned

31-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #27

Can you show moggies ? And what kind of moggies can you show ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #28

Hi
As a shower and breeder of Persians I have to say that not everyone is the same and I have met some extremely friendly and helpful people through showing my cats. I also showed dogs for a while and the cat show world is a lot fairer and more healthy for the cats. Dog shows have no protection at a show like the cats do with the vetting in process. Also everytime a judge or steward handleds a different cat the disinfect their hands to stop the spread of any possible germs this doesn't happen very often in the dog world.
If you are considering showing then the best thing to do is send for some schedules for cat shows from cat clubs. A list of all shows held in the UK along with the names and address of the show managers is available from the GCCF for £4.00, I think this is the current price. You have to send your entry into the show/section manager about 5-6 weeks before the show. The average cost for a Household Pet, that it is a non pedigree cat, is £22 and for a pedigree £28. This includes your cats pen for the day and entry into four classes. You can enter more classes if you wish at extra cost but in my opinion four is plenty. As previously stated you will need a white blanket, white litter tray and litter, white food bowl and a white water bowl. The food bowl must be removed before judging starts and nothing else must be in the pen as you will be disqualified. Your cat will need to have had all its booster up to date and you must prove this by taking your vaccination card along. The cats are examined by a vet before being allowed into the show, this is really nerve wracking as they can refuse you entry for the slightest thing e.g. dirty eyes, ears, fleas etc. Vetting in is usually about 7.45am till 9.30am with judging starting about 10.00am when everyone must leave the hall. You are usually allowed back in about 12.30pm as well as the public. Kittens can be shown from the age of 14 weeks and are classed as an adult at 9months. Any moggie can be shown but must be neutered by the time they are 9 months. Pedigree registered cats can be shown as either an entire or a neuter in different classes though. This might sound really complicated but it isn't and once you have got the bug you can't shake it off. If you would like anymore info please e-mail me on tilsie@tesco.net. Good Luck there are plenty of lovely people out there in the cat show world so come along and meet us.

Kay, Tilsie Persians.

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
07-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #29

Many year ago you used to have the dogs 'Vetted' at shows, but it ceased in about 1968 I think, I think I remember being told that ou couldn't take a cat to a show oftener than once a fortnight - to avoid rtransmitting any infection, but perhaps that is also a thing of the past. I've been to several cat shows - first one was way back in l968 when I took my two small boys to meet the first of the Blue Peter cats, If I remember right it was a siamese called Jason - anyone else as old as me to remember if I'm right? I am thinking of going again if I can find one fairly close as had last cat pts in December and beginning to feel the need for more paddy paws around the house . Although I'll probably finish up with a rescue, most of our other cats have been given to us or just moved in .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoes
first one was way back in l968 when I took my two small boys to meet the first of the Blue Peter cats, If I remember right it was a siamese called Jason - anyone else as old as me to remember if I'm right?
Jason was indeed a Blue Peter cat..a seal point Siamese. He was born on 3 May 1964.When he was a kitten his back leg was broken by "a wild Tom Cat" and had to be pinned. He sired two litters of kittens, one seal points and the other a cross with a Burmese. He lived with Mrs Menezes, who looked after all the Blue Peter animals in Sussex and died on 17 January 1976 of kidney failure.

Here he is