Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Material for pathways

Now, I'm not a big fan of bark - mainly because the blasted birds dig it everywhere and I have to sweep it up - certainly at home! However, I've found this stuff http://www.dunweedin.co.uk/gallery_projects.html, which they have at Domi's riding school in the arenas in its cheapest form (plain grey/black).

It's chipped rubber - recycled from old tyres and I'm thinking of getting one of the more vibrant-coloured ones to use as paths at the allotment between my raised beds.

Does anyone know any good/bad/neutral reports of this type of product? I know it retails through B&Q in some of the more tame colours (am thinking of violet/blue which has to be bought direct)? Do you think it's just too unnatural and maybe I should just stick with bark or gravel?

Thoughts welcome

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Re: Material for pathways

Have to admit that I have not heard of this product before Yola. I had a quick look at the website and they don't have answers to the two potential problems that pop into my mind. One, I presume that as it is a crumb structure, water would freely drain through it - which would be good and secondly, it's rubber - what happens if an animal swallows a bit of it, does it choke or is that not actually a hazzard they've come across ............ I don't have any problem with recycling rubber per se, my worry is that their website doesn't seem to have a FAQ section - I may have overlooked it however.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #3

I like the green aspect of recycling tires, but wonder of it's safe to use around a vegetable plot ,,,any danger of toxic leakage? Too bad there isn't a FAQ section. My own preference would be gravel ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #4

Yola - a livery yard that I kept my horse at years ago used this on one of their all weather surface arenas. It was, IMO, a better surface in terms of drainage etc than the sand or fibrefill arena. There was a path from the tackshop to the wash area which used the rubber for the surface - comments would be it seemed to carry into the yard although I would have to qualify that by saying it was very heavily used at weekends and is perhaps not a fair comment.

The actual 'stuff' itself was made from old tyres/cables etc. It did tend to look quite worn after a while and became quite grey.

I didn't think about Angieh's comment and would also be concerned at how attractive, or not, it would be to small animals.

IMO I prefer a more natural product but it would. I think, depend where it was to be used.

Catsey Veteran

21-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #5

There is a huge range of chippings and mulches made from other perhaps more "natural" sources, always bearing in mind that cocoa shell chippings should not be used where they can be a serious danger to dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
21-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Well, dunno about allotments etc, but I have heard of a few people using this in their chicken runs instead of bark (easier to blast with a hose lol). I'm thinking about using it in mine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
21-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Have to admit that I have not heard of this product before Yola. I had a quick look at the website and they don't have answers to the two potential problems that pop into my mind. One, I presume that as it is a crumb structure, water would freely drain through it - which would be good and secondly, it's rubber - what happens if an animal swallows a bit of it, does it choke or is that not actually a hazzard they've come across ............ I don't have any problem with recycling rubber per se, my worry is that their website doesn't seem to have a FAQ section - I may have overlooked it however.
it does have a FAQ section angie When you click on product you want to know about (chippings for example) look to the right hand side and there is a box with different links on it.

Catsey Veteran

21-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
it does have a FAQ section angie When you click on product you want to know about (chippings for example) look to the right hand side and there is a box with different links on it.
Well spotted Alex - I did overlook that and those FAQs answered both my queries very well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #9

DM - I like gravel but OH has a real problem with it (says you can't wheel a barrow along it)! It would be my preference too so I may have to work on him
But I do like the recycled aspect of this product and I also like the idea of having vivid purple pathways to match my gaudy shed