Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
30-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Looking for a sturdy tall flower

Hi guys, i'm looking for recommendations for a sturdy tall type flower, about the same kind of size as delphinium but not hollyhocks or glads, preferably something that doesn't really need caning up. Any ideas? It's on a full sun spot too, hardly any shade.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

Re: Looking for a sturdy tall flower

Oh and not lupin or lilly as has to be non poisonous.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #3

Dahlia's are nice - I used to grow these a while back.A bit high-maintenance though as they attract bugs a-plenty.

If you want REALLY tall, what about sunflowers?

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #4

Thanks Yola, we already have some sunflowers, well we will have when they grow, not long planted seeds in pots, but looking for something that will come back each year for the back of a nice flower border. Going to have the delphs but want something else to go with them at the back so it isn't just 2 meters (ish) of delphs if that makes sence? I was set on hollyhocks to go with them but my dad used to have them and said you can't really avoid rust on them round here so they'd be really high maintence trying to keep that off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #5

Asters? Fairly tall, not Summer bloomers but would give you gorgeous Autumn color. Low maintenance, perennial. But have no idea if they're toxic to cats ......

Edited: just thought of Japanese anemones! Also tall, perennial, low maintenance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
30-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

How about Rudbeckias, Aconitum, salvia guarantica, Verbena bonariensis, or a Maclaya.

Found this too http://www.guardiangardencentre.co.uk/Index.cfm?category_id=469&fuseaction=category.stan dard

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #7

Echinacea! All sorts of colours now - and you can make your own medicines from it.

Or what about mallow?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #8

Sweet pea? You'll need to stake them but they are tall and the more you cut them for flower arrangements the more they'll grow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #9

Verbena?
Not sure what you mean by sturdy. Verbena isn't a wimpy plant, doesn't need fussing, but it's not chunky like delphinium.
I think the flower heads (lots of them) look really attractive at the back of a border as the stems get a bit 'invisible'.

Catsey Veteran

31-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Asters? Fairly tall, not Summer bloomers but would give you gorgeous Autumn color. Low maintenance, perennial. But have no idea if they're toxic to cats ......

Edited: just thought of Japanese anemones! Also tall, perennial, low maintenance.
Thanks Eileen, I was considering Asters, I have some seeds here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
How about Rudbeckias, Aconitum, salvia guarantica, Verbena bonariensis, or a Maclaya.

Found this too http://www.guardiangardencentre.co.u...ory.stan dard
Thank you very much I will have a look at those now. x

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Echinacea! All sorts of colours now - and you can make your own medicines from it.

Or what about mallow?
Thanks Angie, I was going to put in Echinacea in the next layer and never thought of mallow, lots of ideas now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Sweet pea? You'll need to stake them but they are tall and the more you cut them for flower arrangements the more they'll grow!
Thanks Yola but sweet peas seeds are poisonous aren't they? It's a shame because it's lovely, i'm growing regular peas and runner beans though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Verbena?
Not sure what you mean by sturdy. Verbena isn't a wimpy plant, doesn't need fussing, but it's not chunky like delphinium.
I think the flower heads (lots of them) look really attractive at the back of a border as the stems get a bit 'invisible'.
Thank you dm that's lovely! By sturdy I just meant something that's not going to blow over or need tying up and fussing over.