Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
11-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #31

Re: Book Club: Suite Francaise

Will we try to resurect this then with a new title?

I have just bought Kathy Reichs - Devil Bones
Karin Slaughter - Fractured
Sebastian Barry - Secret Scripture
and
Getting started with chickens (but I think that may be a minority read )

- any other suggestions?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #32

I've read Devil Bones, not the other two, but will check the library...I do like Slaughter; don't know Barry but the title is intriguing. I have the new Patricia Cornwell on hold at the library, will pick up Saturday.

Am currently reading Greg Bear's Quantico; quite good....domestic terrorists and biological warfare and the FBI's attempts to locate them. Just finished Ruth Rendell's End in Tears, and Sheri Tepper's The Margarets (sci-fi)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #33

Just a bit of an aside for those who like Kathy Reichs which includes me. Has anyone seen the Bones series on TV which is based on the books, and what do you think about it?

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #34

I never watch TV shows/movies adapted from books I've read and loved. It completely ruins it for me, not the same. Odd,perhaps, but that's my reaction.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #35

I read somewhere that Kathy Reichs was involved with the filming behind the scenes - not sure if that's true or not. It's not normally on my "viewing radar" so I have only watched one episode and felt it was a bit frivolous. I know one episode is not much to base an opinion on, so that's why I asked the question.

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #36

I believe I read that on the dust jacket on one of her recent books also, Angie. I do enjoy her books; I think she's better than Patricia Cornwell, who's gotten very dark in her later books, IMO. her newest one isn't a Kay Scarpetta. I think.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
11-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #37

Getting started with chickens, might, just might be a little esoteric - but in these days of credit crunch etc, well it might do!

I read a lot of fantasy - have done for years. You know stuff like Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and the Lord of the Rings. I think I will blame the Lord of the Rings. When I was at college you were NOONE without a copy under your arm. And then the habit continued.

I also love science fiction (follows really).

Not all that keen on murder mystery and mayhem.

Catsey Junior

11-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #38

I have always been really diappointed in movies of books I have loved.......... starting with Gone with the Wind, they miss so much out! Catch 22 another....... oh there are so many they didn't get the point (or what I saw as the point anyway!!)

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #39

ST, have you read any of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series? Drgonrider, etc? Or Terry Brooks Shannara series? Or the Darkover books, author's name escapes me at the moment ...she also writes fantasy ......

Oh, and it was GWTW that originally turned me off on movie adaptations. The movie was so powerful that it ruined my images of the people, and yes, did leave out too much!

Catsey Junior

11-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #40

I have!! All of the Pern books - everything! I read the really good stuff but also I read all the wonderful trashy stuff too. Recent favourites are the Eragon series- three books in that lot. But also Stephanie Meyers 'twilight' - they made a movie of that too Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy, Jude fisher's Fools Gold. Oh and Robin Hobb........... too many maybe!

Oh well I read - a lot!