Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
07-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #21

Re: Book Club: Suite Francaise

I have read about a third of it, but I have sort of drifted away from it. Not that it is badly written or anything, it just was not grabbing my attention. I went right back to the Eragon series....... which was entertaining me.

Sorry, just didn't appeal to me. Maybe the next choice will!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 cats
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #22

Oooh, a book club! Excellent! Count me in when the next book is started

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #23

Welcome to the Book Club, Magenta!

Catsey Junior

10-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #24

What happened to the dicussion? Is there a new book Where is it? Ooooooo I am confused!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #25

I don't think it reached any conclusion sadly. I'm still only about a 1/4 way through the book.

Finding it very painful going as there are strong parrallels with this and my own parents' exodus/forcible eviction from Poland during WWII. I am determined to read it though and have mentally earmarked it for taking to Italy with me in August.

Catsey Junior

10-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #26

Ah Yola I thought maybe it would be a bit too much for those with connections, perhaps the next book should be chosen then. If you are going to the med, maybe you should try Bitter Lemons (Cypriot based) very lemon and olive oil based!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #27

Do you mean the Lawrence Durrell "Bitter Lemons", Smokytopaz? If so I read that absolutely ages ago, but still have my copy!

Sorry, I have not even started Suite Francaise, although I have started A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami for another book club - they've already discussed it though. Only on page 59 and it's sort of weird. That's good as I like weird.

Catsey Junior

10-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #28

Yup I did mean Bitter Lemons, made me really enjoy my visits to Cyprus.. his brother Gerald spent time there too, trying to remember his book, ummmmm My family and other animals?

Anyway maybe we should have a new book then as the last one sorta didn't grab the attention.

Who chooses? Or who holds list of poss candidates up for election. Can I claim expences?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #29

I love all of the Durrell animal books! I have most of them in paperback; too lazy to go upstairs and check the titles! We just sort of toss around some suggestions and come to a decision. Suite Francaise sort of petered out; too many people didn't finish. I've misplaced my notes on it anyway!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #30

Poor Suite Francaise - I loved it, on many levels. I loved the language and find it amazing that it is a translation. It is sooo French, yet reads so well in English. I love the 'tres correct' Frenchness of it and many of the characters. I find it very poignant that the trilogy is not, and never could be, finished Obviously the greatest sadness is that the author lost her life, with so many others, but it is also such a shame that the book could not be finished ... I was enjoying it so much when it abruptly ended.