Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
15-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

Cystitis or constipation??

Hi guys, im a bit concerned about Hernandez at the moment and would love some advice or input from people.

On saturday evening we noticed he kept pacing back and forth from the trays, squating and trying to go and either not being able to go or just peeing a little. straight away i paniced because of course Raven ended up with a blockage in his bladder this time last year that nearly killed him and hes still on prescription food for it now, so when i saw Hernie straining i thought we were going through the same thing. however, he eventually went poops and then didnt go near the tray until the next morning

Stayed in all day sunday to keep an eye on him and the same thing happened in the morning, he was wondering from one tray to the next, getting in and squating and either peeing a little or not at all and then getting out. again, he pooped after about an hour and didnt go near the trays again all day so im really confused.

If it was cystitis would he not keep going and back and forth all day instead of doing it until he pooped? and wouldnt he be maybe peeing outside the tray or crying in pain etc when trying to pee? he has done none of this. i should also mention that we have seen him peeing properly twice, once last night and once this morning, a nice healthy wee there is no blood in the urine or anything like that and he is acting completely normal.

I was going to take him to the vets this morning but when he didnt go near the tray after yesterday morning except for his normal toilet activities i didnt think it was needed. he has done the same again this afternoon though, not as many times in and out the tray, but we havent seen him poop yet.

We did change their food a few weeks back. we done it gradually and they went from Burns chicken and brown rice, to Arden Grange fish and potato. we done this because Hernie and Rhino have always had dodgy bellies and i noticed this was for sensitive cats and its actually helped-havent had any runs at all since they started on it.

Any ideas? im in half a mind to bring him to the vets for a check up just incase anyway but would love some input from other kittie owners

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #2

Re: Cystitis or constipation??

It's so dificult/almost impossible to give any useful answer to queries like these. You've described something really well - but I don't know what you've described and neither do you. It's something elimination-related, and probably (as he seems to be pooping Ok) wee related - which makes one think of cystitis.
Maybe the vets - at least a phone call to the vets - would be a good idea? You know they can feel the bladder and check whether it is emptying OK
Sorry - not much use

Catsey Senior

15-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, i know its really difficult to tell in these situations especially when im so unsure myself about what is going on. i guess i just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this happening in their cats and what the outcome was.

As it goes i have now booked him into the vets for the morning, i knew i would just end up worrying myself sick about it so even if it turns out to be nothing then atleast it puts my mind at ease, but i do agree that i think its more likely to be cystitis. just hope thats all it is, really dont fancy going through the whole struvite crystal thing again! saying that though, atleast we know his bladder isnt blocked because he is peeing, both normally and in bits. maybe we have just caught it early before it could develop into the other symptoms of it being painful and him urinating in other places or something. wonder what could have caused it though

either way i shall update when we are back tomorrow. wish us luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #4

I hope the vet can give you all the answers and get what ever the problem is sorted out.
In the mean time are you able to increase his fluid intake? Are your cats fed on dry food only?

Catsey Senior

15-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I hope the vet can give you all the answers and get what ever the problem is sorted out.
In the mean time are you able to increase his fluid intake? Are your cats fed on dry food only?
Thankyou. no, since Ravens problems we have been feeding them a wet and dry diet. they get hi life wet food once a day and dry food twice a day(we cant leave food down due to Raven being on prescription diet). i did think about getting him some cat milk or something to encourage him to drink more but then i remembered i done that with Raven and he drank alot but because his bladder was blocked that was what nearly killed him-his bladder was completely full when we got him to the vets so im really wary of doing that again, but might offer him just a little in a dish. its silly of me i know, because as i said Hernie is actually still peeing rather then not being able to. would soya milk be better for him then cat milk? i just know the whiskas cat milk has alot of un needed stuff added to it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about Hernie's problems. As to the liquid, I'd really just stick with water.

As to the problem you describe - the fact that you have seen him pee normally and there is no blood and he pee'd without crying out, I would suspect it's constipation. Additional check - does he keep licking himself? Not that that's conclusive of course. I think you're doing the right thing going to the vet. Let us know how he gets on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #7

It's really impossible to diagnose from what you've described. It both does and doesn't sound like classic cystitis. Two of mine have had one bout of it, with the usual symptoms...in the box every 20 minutes or so and only producing a few drops of urine; blood tinged in my male, not in my female. Until she got to the vet and was so scared she weed a few bloody drops on the examining table.

Have you thought about giving him a little bit of fish oil, like from sardines or tuna? If it's constipation that may help until he sees the vet....or better yet, call the vet now to see if that would be OK.

Hope he's diagnosed and gets better soon....so worrying!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #8

Yes oily fish as Eileen says may help.
What about adding just a little cooled boiled water to their wet food?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Yes oily fish as Eileen says may help.
What about adding just a little cooled boiled water to their wet food?
I've been doing that since Leia had a bout of cystitis, and she's not had an episode since (knock wood!!); plus she loves the extra gravy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
15-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #10

I have a cat with struvite crystals and one with cystis and it is realy worrying. The litter tray thing sounds like cyrstals and cystas. Mine was on the persceiption only one but because i couldnt get hold of any i changed to a none persciption one(long story). Simon had a bout of it on newyears eve as well. Is Hernie a fussy cat or have you change the litter. Are the litter trays close together. Guinness is so particular when he was first poorly he would dig and dig the re dig till he found it was right. They have had it now for around 2 yrs. I do hope your little one is ok at the vets tomorrow and please let us know on how hernie gets on