Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
30-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #1

Neutering info?

Hey...didn't know where to post this. Now, before I start;

Yes, we are very bad kitty parents. Patch is not neutered yet, the plans are to get him done very soon but we havn't been able to afford it at the moment (and before someone shouts at me, we would take him to the vet if he needed to go, we would find money, whatever it meant he would not suffer). However, was talking to dad and apparently he will have £80 by Monday (hey, how? I have know idea, but he's says it's legal so I'm happy!) so hopefully Patch will be done soon. Yes, Patch does go outside and we realise how many kittens he has probably created, and no, we certainly are not proud of this! However, we love him very much so don't get me wrong! Now that is clear I will carry on - please do not critisise us for not having him done yet, he would be done by now but it hasn't been possible (also, please don't lecture me on how we should have had neutering money before we got him etc, we realise this now).

Okay so, Patch is about a year old, he should cope with being neutered fine, right?
We realise the vet will tell us a lot but how long should he be kept in the house for?

How old was your kitty when they were neutered/spayed and did it go fine? We are worry warts and are terrified that something will go wrong and we will end up loosing him, I know sooo many cats get neutered but the worry will always be there, right?

Sooo...yeah. Just wanted to ask that. Please don't critisise us or think we're mean cruel kitty parents, we are not

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #2

Re: Neutering info?

Calm down jane, we're not going to shout at you lol! My Broxi didn't get neutered until he was 14 months old (he's an indoor cat though). He had the op with no problems, vet just said to keep him in for 24 hours and that was it. Sailed throught the op with flying colours and home with us 4 hours later. Hope this puts your mind at ease a bit.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #3

Cassie was speyed at 6 months ....... she was fine when we brought her home, just quiet and wanted to sleep. The next day she was almost her usual self. She was kept indoors until she had her stitches out and we were satified she would be ok to go out once again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
30-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #4

If money is the problem I'm sure you can get vouchers from the CPL (cat protection league) Others here will keep you right on that one.
Stop thinking we will shout or rant we WONT!!!

Your getting it done and that's the main thing.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
30-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #5

lol just thought I'd mention all that because I know for certain if I posted this on another forum I would be ripped to shreds by them.

Yep that does help, thank you.

I think my sister had her cat neutered on Monday, am seeing her tonight so will ask her how it went because we're planning on going to the same vet. If it went well we will go there, it seems like a vet nice vet and my nannan takes her dog there regularly. Is £45 a decent price?

Also, any vaccination info? He hasn't been vaccinated either so we're gunna get home done hopefully, it's about £35 I think for that.

edit: sorry if I seemed err....I dunno, angry or whatever in my post, I didn't mean it to sound like that, but reading over it I sound a bit crazy eh? Jac, the thing is, don't you have to be on benefits or something to get vouchers from the CPL?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
30-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

Jane I'm not sure about that. I'll find out for you.
In Edinburgh there are certain vets that are in a scheme. If you got to them you pay have and the CPL pays half. End of. It's to stop unwanted litters. Could be worth phoning about.
Hey Jane were friendly here, We don't chew people up and spit them out.
Things happen, that's life. Sit back and enjoy the forum. We talk about all sorts here not just our cats.
Can I just suggest though if he's not vaccinated don't let him out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
30-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #7

My female cats were neutered before six months and both were their normal selves when they came home as if nothing had happened!!!

I had vouchers from the CPL and I am not on any benefits. Just asked for them and they provided them as they want cats to be neutered. It went towards the cost of the spaying but it was a big help as I had two cats done at once!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #8

I think people on low incomes etc can get vouchers from CPL etc. You can also ask the RSPCA if they too have a voucher scheme or your local rescue can sometimes help.
Now I am not going to shout or rant because you could have just as easily kept quiet about the neutering and vaccs etc but please get these things done asap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
30-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #9

Just found this link:

http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neutering_financial.asp

Not sure if you are now financially assessed first. But cant remember being assessed when I applied.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #10

Even I don't know if you need to be on benefits for vouchers lol!! Give them a phone Jane, worth a try!