Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #31

Re: Leia just back from the vet!!

Will log on early tomorrow morning and see how you got on Eileen. x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
20-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #32

I had to give liquid antibiotic to tilly as she would spit the other out. I don't thing it tase to nice as she foamed at the mouth afterwards. I just opend her mouth and squirted it in a quick as I could, but it might be better in tuna or something with a strong taste and smell.
My Buster has got cystitis as well but he is good and will eat pills hidden in food. It is just his sister who can be a pain.

Hope it goes well.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #33

Thanks, Tilly! Unfortunately, Leia doesn't like fish, so that option's out. If this liquid stuff is too difficult to administer, will call the vet tomorrow and ask if he can give me another prescription for pills...can smuggle them in a nice piece of ham...hope yours are doing OK; it's such a worry when they're sick!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
20-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #34

I know Tilly is coming up to scotland with me (Which is an 8 hours!!She is going to be sedated) and Buster is in a cattery so he can have s/d which is a specail diet for him. Does she like pate cat food as it might be possible to mush it up in that.

best of luck

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #35

OMG Eileen - it sounds like you've had a truly awful time of it today Still - glad Leia's home and some semblance of normality has returned!

The way I pill/medicate a cat is by kneeling on the floor with cat between slightly open knees. Make sure to keep your ankles together as the cat WILL reverse out between your feet . Grab cat by the cheekbones with one hand - thumb and index finger either side of jaw. Use middle finger of other hand to prise open lower jaw and just pop pill/syringe in with the remaining fingers of hand holding lower jaw open.

Worth a couple of practice runs and expect some scratch marks - but at least you will have the medicine into the cat!!

Good luck - just don't give Leia a martini (much as she might seem to need one )

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #36

Thanks, Yola! I've self-medicated with martinis this afternoon; Leia is a teetotaller; you'd laugh at the look on her face when she sniffs my glass thinking it might be water...I'm feeling much better ......she's relaxed at being home away from that horrible place,,,and tomorrow is another day!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
OMG Eileen - it sounds like you've had a truly awful time of it today Still - glad Leia's home and some semblance of normality has returned!

The way I pill/medicate a cat is by kneeling on the floor with cat between slightly open knees. Make sure to keep your ankles together as the cat WILL reverse out between your feet . Grab cat by the cheekbones with one hand - thumb and index finger either side of jaw. Use middle finger of other hand to prise open lower jaw and just pop pill/syringe in with the remaining fingers of hand holding lower jaw open.

Worth a couple of practice runs and expect some scratch marks - but at least you will have the medicine into the cat!!

Good luck - just don't give Leia a martini (much as she might seem to need one )
Only just caught this Eileen what a terrible day you've had sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Hope all is fine I totaly agree with Yola's plan of tablet administration. But have to never been scratched but the one thing I would say don't creep up on her when she's in her favourite place - she will never forgive you.

Take care and sure all will go well, take care and hugs to Leia.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Eileen, here's a question for you Are you Irish with an American accent .... or American with an Irish accent!
American with an American accent, but with the inborn Irish talent for storytelling....

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-12-2006, 04:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
American with an American accent, but with the inborn Irish talent for storytelling....
.... a very good combination too!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #40

Wow - I really missed the drama didn't I? But I see on another thread that you have managed to give one dose of the medication so fingers crossed that all is going well now.
What's with all these poor pusses and cystitis? Time of year? Sress? Over-excitement at santa coming? Who knows?
DM - it is difficult with cats & vets isn't it? They are such healthy creatures normally that they just don't have the opportunity to get used to the carrier/waiting room etc etc palarver.
Hope you sleep well and have a much calmer day today. Maybe get a bottle of Bachs Rescue Remedy (for you!) next time you see it. I think it works for stressy times. Take care