Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #11

Re: Leia just back from the vet!!

Eileen, try pressing the tablet into a small piece of cheese ..... or wrap it tightly in a piece of ham/meat for her ......... hopefully the tablet will go down at the same time....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #12

Leia is the only cat I've ever had who doesn't like cheese! This is liquid, I have to draw it up and give it to her by mouth. Sounds simple enough, but then, the vet makes pilling sound easy, too.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #13

I've had to give my 3 liquid for the past month, and I found the easiest way to do it was fill the syringe, put the cat under my arm while sitting on the settee, grab by the scruff of the neck and pull the head back, and just squirt as soon as the mouth opens, I find it easier to give pills tbh, lol!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #14

If it is like a small syringe Eileen, administer it into the side of Leia's mouth, she's more likely to take it then. I would think it may be best to have her on your lap when you give it to her......

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #15

Alex, I'm in awe that you can pill a cat!!!! That's "Mission Impossible" for me. Will try your technique tonight at her dinner time (has to be given with meals). Wish me luck; she's a large, strong determined cat.......

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #16

Lots of luck wished your way Eileen lol! Remember, YOU'RE the boss !!!LOL!

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #17

Thanks for all the support, everyone! I am a real wimp at medicating a determined cat who doesn't want to be medicated...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #18

Oh Eileen, I am so sorry to hear you and Leia have had such a traumatic day and I really hope that Leia picks up quickly. That was certainly some vet bill! and you certainly deserve your Martinis tonight

Have you tried wrapping Leia up tightly in a towel to administer medicine to her? Good luck and let us know how she gets on x

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #19

Thanks, Fran! Leia has never been medicated before; this is the first time she's been ill since she came. I tried the towel bit with my other cats; kept them mostly immobilized, but all the mouth-clamping and throat stroking never worked; they just spit out the pill...... The vet did say when I told him that I had my doubts about medicating her that I could add it to her food if she would eat it all, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic about that method. Leia always eats all her food, but if this stuff is nasty, I don't know...yes, I'll report what happens, probably in great boring detail...thanks for bearing with me while I fret online,,,I really cam be a wimp sometimes about things like this........

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #20

you're not a wimp Eileen, we all know how scary a hissing, spittin scared kitty can be.