Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
16-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #1

My baby Courtney is sick too

Just when we thought we'd seen the last of the big vet bills, our baby Courtney has come down sick.
Just for some background this thread details whats been going on with Tango our other sick cat http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=17448

Courtney is our baby cat, although she is 12 years old she always acts like a kitten and is the youngest in the group, all the other cats look after her and 'mother' her.

At the start of this week she was fine, playing and everything but Thursday night she didn't look right and I gave her a fuss, she felt boney and her eyes looked sunken and dull, she hadn't had any food that day, so into the vets yesterday where they checked her over and said she was quite dehydrated but not too bad, so they gave her some antibiotics and we made an appointment for this morning just in case they didn't work.
This morning she was no better so back to the vet, they are keeping her in on a drip overnight and have run some tests, the test results have shown high white blood cells and low red blood cells (anemic), some abnormalities in her kidney results but this could be a result of an infection, I think there are more test results to come.

What seems a bit strange to me is that Tango has been sick recently too, he came down with it fast just like Courtney has, slightly different symptoms (Tango was being sick) and slightly different test results - Tango had Liver abnormalities and Courtney has Kidney abnormalities but both had high white blood cells and a normal temperature, but in both it isn't the kidneys or liver thats actually causing the problem, it seems to be a knock on effect of the problem.

The vet never did actually find out what was wrong with Tango after about £600 spent on tests/scans/ xrays and medication, and were still not sure if he's going to be OK, hes on a course of antibiotics but last time he came off them he was sick within days, we have about 3 weeks to go before he comes off them so we'll have to cross our fingers.

Courtney might have to have an x-ray and ultrasound scan too, but at the moment I don't know how I'm going to afford it, I can expect a £200 + bill tomorrow when I pick her up, I hope they can find out whats wrong this time.

Oh and Bones decided to wee in the corner for no apparent reason just after we'd got back from the vet - fantastic! (sarcasm)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
16-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #2

Re: My baby Courtney is sick too

Sorry to hear all this and hope it can be sorted quickly and relatively cheaply.
I do sympathise with the vet bills - they always seem to come together and to pick exactly the time you could do without demands on your finances.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #3

Sorry to hear this Sam, it's strange that they have both been ill so soon after each other I hope your vet will be able to diagnose what is wrong without too much investigation........

Would your vet allow you to pay so much a week/month to help spread the high bills?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #4

I'm sorry to hear this I hope the vet gets to the bottom of the prooblem quickly x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
16-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #5

Hope they are both better very soon.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #6

Oh no - I do hope the vet can secure a diagnosis. It's not good for the purse (and so close to Christmas too) and certainly not good in terms of worrying.

Jsut a thought, you don't think someone, somewhere - deliberately or not - is adminstering some kind of poison that they're picking up do you?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #7

Just got a phone call from the vet.
Courtney is more anemic today, and he said he felt her bladder and it didn't seem as full as it should for the amount of fluid shes had, after feeling her tummy he said he felt some fluid had built up elsewhere, so he took syringed the area and the fluid was all bloody.
It could be that shes been in a car accident and has internal bleeding, or it could be a tumor that has burst and it bleeding - that would be why shes so anemic.
So right now she is having a scan to look for tumors, then we can make decisions from there, he did say if they open her up and find lots of tumors we should think about whether we want her brought round from the anesthetic .
All the worry of costs from yesterday have gone out of the window, I will find the money, I'm just so worried about her - its hard to take in because she was 100% fine a few days ago, now she is far from fine, I don't want to lose her.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
17-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #8

Hope that you get some good new and that there isn't any tumors.

Sally

((((HUGS)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #9

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I have everything crossed that the vets will be able to treat her {{{Hugs}}} x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
17-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #10

my thoughts are with you
hugs from jane and simon