Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: a Pregnant one
15-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #1

Is this normal for kittens and mum???

As some of you know i have adopted a cat and her kittens. Hipus (mum) is about 12mth and her babies are about 5week (i was told 3week by vet but since been told at least 5week) I have no idea whats normal with cats playing but today Shelly (girl kitten) and Jack (boy) were hiding together at the back of the sofa, i just looked down at them and Jack hissed, its the 1st time hes done it, I went to turn of a plug just incase they chewed the wire and Shelly hissed and spat at me. I left them alone and they came out and carried on palying. Jack is more willing for a little tickle or pickup but Shelly isnt so sure still (i have only had kittens just over a week)
Mum is very friendly (had her 3week ish) but very protective of the babies which i can understand as they were takend away from her for about a week, but i dont know if shes playing or trying to kill Shelly and sometimes Jack. If they are playing (kittens) Hipus will run upto them and bowl them over, pin htem to the floor and mouth around kittens kneck many times kitten will cry out. I have seen her do this 3-4times this eve. Then both kittens were playing charging and pouncing on each other and Hipus charges again leaps into the air and lands next to kittens. Shes very protective of them but is this normal cat/kitten playing.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
15-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #2

Re: Is this normal for kittens and mum???

Everything you have described above is VERY normal
Remember these wee kittens have been through alot, so may be a little more hissy to begin with...
Though this is normal for all kittens anyway, its all part of them learning the boundries of acceptable behaviour with each other.
Mum may seem harsh towards the kittens, but again thats normal just her learning them to behave. A bit like human mums...
Love your updates, keep them coming!

Banned

16-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #3

Great thanks i was starting to worry that they had been without human contact for to long as they have never been inside before i got them. They are in the livingroom now so i have my bedroom back. They are litter trained already, i have had no accidents at all, and they love there food but like mum prefer dry food.

Ok i was going to post a pic of mum killing Jack but i cant work how to do it so will do that later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #4

Sounds quite normal to me too...she is just teaching them so manners...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #5

Yes, I'd say she's just keeping them in line and showing them who's boss. It'd be lovely to see some pictures when you work them out.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipus

Ok i was going to post a pic of mum killing Jack but i cant work how to do it so will do that later.
This link will help guide you through the process of posting your pics...

Banned

16-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #7

The kittens are really fighting tonight, so much that Jack crying when Shelly gets him LOL

Hipus

Jack and Shelly

Mum killing Jack

Shellys hiding place behind the sofa.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
16-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #8

I love them all. Mine have started play fighting tonight. Is jack the ginger one. Maisey is protected of her babies as well. I cant wait till mine are that age wont i have fun . Infact as i type they have all started to climb out of there bed but maisey never puts them back in just meows at them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #9

What little cuties, you have done a brilliant job with them...Mum is just gorgeous!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #10

Lovely to see them at last! Desn't Shelley look like her Mum in terms of markings And aren't they a very lucky trio of pusses to have found you - bless them