Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggy
petzicat is Male
03-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

litter wee out

Hi all
I have two cats. both female. one is six and the other eleven. now the problem is that the eldest cat has gone back to the habit of going for a wee outside the litter trays. she went through a phase like this before but stopped but now has started again. they both have a litter tray each so why is she doing this ?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

Re: litter wee out

Hi there,
I cant really be much help as I have absolutely no idea despite having had cats for donkeys years. I also have an old male cat who won t do solids in the litter tray but prefers my carpet (which funnily enough is being replaced with laminate shortly) yet he wees quite happily in the litter. Apart from scolding the cat (and mine is totally deaf so not a lot of good) and thoroughly cleaning the area to remove the scent to deter them next time I am not sure what else to suggest. Its extremely frustrating I know.

I wait to see what else gets suggested here! Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #3

Please please please do NOT scold the cat. Doing so will only instill fear in the cat.
Is your cat peeing or trying to pee a little more often than normal? If so it may be a case of cystitis which is obviously painful, cats often asociate the litter box with the pain and so tend to pee outside of the litter box rather than in it.
Is your older cat being bullied by the younger one? Have you changed the cat litter brand? Is there anything that could be causing her stress?
The general rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat plus one, many cats dont like to pee and poop in the same litter box.

petzicat is Male
03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #4

Been using the same cat litter for years(catsan) she went through this stage before. Might take her to the vets for a check over if this carry s on for much longer. telling her off just results in getting growled at and some claw/paw action. the two cats seem to get along

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #5

I agree with Elaine in saying that a bout of cystitis may be the cause ..........I would definitely take her to the vets to get her checked...

Please let us know how she gets on.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
03-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #6

I have a wee problem with my lucky and sometimes a poo one as well. I use catsan have 3 litter trays there always clean but he just likes wee-ing especialy on the dirty washing near the washing machine. My chester sometimes does the same on the living room carpet. I dont know why but i dont scald them it does no good they dont listen to me either. I agree though a vet visit would be a good idea my guinness has cyctitis has does the same as yours when it plays him up.

jane

petzicat is Male
12-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #7

Took her to the vets. just got to get a wee sample and take it for testing. Deep joy collecting cat wee. got to be fresh though. Hoping to get bit done monday