Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #1

new home, cat frantic help!

hi all,

well some you may have seen on a previous thread i was due to move house well at long last we moved on Fri, Jack is one very unhappy cat...

I've been putting butter on his paws (not sure it proven but he does like it) and kept him shut in he's using a litter tray sometimes but I am finding little puddles around the house.

The problem is he's constantly sat on the window sill looking in the garden and meowing loudly... scracthing at the glass and generally getting in a state....

whenever i open the door he's head does that twitching thing (from side to side) and he tries to make a dash for it, someone said leave him in for two weeks buts thats going to be a long time for him and me!

He did get out this morning whilst i was doing his breakfast back door wasnt shut properly and he escaped looked at me then jumped over next doors fence... i was worried stiff but 10 mins later he reappeared over the fence at the back of the garden....came strolling in looking for food....

do you think it will be ok to let him out when im in the house we dont have a flap yet still to be fitted...

any advice would be good....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #2

Re: new home, cat frantic help!

Poor Jack!
I think as long as he is chipped or has a collar with his new address I would be inclined to let him out. Start when he is hungry, so he can have some time outside then come in and be fed.
Try to get the cat-flap in soon - in the meantime, whilst the weather is so nice he will probably be perfectly happy waiting for you to open the door if you can allow him access to a shed or even a large box.
Good luck to you all

Catsey Junior

02-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #3

Thanks for that, Husband is going to do the flap before the weekend, as he's going away for a few days.

Jack can get into a shed in the garden the doors hanging off so no chance of him getting shut in.

will give it a go tonight when he's ready for his tea

fingers crossed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #4

I am a believer in keeping them in for a period, You might try a Feliway dispenser and some Bach's Rescue remedy in his water to keep him calmer while he's indoors .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #5

Have you moved far away from your old house? Could Jack find his way back? I would try and keep him in for as long as you possibly can. Rescue Remedy is a good idea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
02-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Have to agree I'd wait at very least two weeks. I'd be worried in case he tried to find his way 'home'.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
03-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #7

I would put up with his vapours for at least two weeks, he may otherwise head for his original home and lead you a merry dance.

It may drive you nuts but the more he wants to get out may be an indication of his I- wanna- go -home frame of mind. Try feliway diffuser to settle him, the spray is pretty good too, makes them feel as though it is a happy place to be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #8

I would be tempted to keep him in as long as possible as well just to make sure he dosen`t try to wander off back home, hope he dosen`t drive you to insane though

Catsey Junior

07-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #9

well everyone, we installed the catflap on thursday evening and locked it in the in position only, so jack could only go out on my terms when i was about to keep track of how long he's been out etc. theroy being i let him out but he can get back in

Anyway off we go to bed leaving jack snuggled up in Max(the dog's) basket max not that impressed relegated to the floor but heyho

When i get up at 7am NO JACK he'd only managed to spin the dials somehow and lock himself out i let max out and jack appeared from the shed no idea how long he'd been out.

well thats it ive just left the flap on both ways and he's coming and going yesterday he was playing with another cat from next door in their garden so i think we have cracked it

I do hope so i think with him having such a tramatic start in life and being on his own living in a garage for 12 months he kind of knows where he's well off

thanks for all the replies

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #10

All's well then.
I think Jack has his self-inteest hat firmly on - he's not stupid enough to let a good home slip through his little paws.
Thanks for the update