Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
21-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #1

Help!!! Crisis situation with my dominant male!!!

Hello!!
I have rescued & worked with felines for a number of years and luckily, although my tribe is a ragtag collection of rescues, strays and ferals, my current 7 have always got on famously...until this morning!!!
My dominant male, Rigby, has suddenly taken up issue with one of my younger boys, Porter!
After brekki Porter, Sullivan & Wilbur, have the ritual communal pooh and then go mental for 1/2 hour... you know.. wall of death round lounge, pulling every toy outta their toy box and manically throwing them around and of course playing tail-tag-chase... Porter oftens gets a bit too rough and as per normal pinned Wilbur down and caused him to squeal! Rigby responded as normal by sauntering over and twatting Porter on the head in reprimand... job done!! After all why have a Rigby & bark yourself??! Usually the episode is then forgotten and all returns to it's normal mutual grooming, carry on playing, everything tranquil self.... NOT TODAY!!
Rigby has repeatedly chased, pinned and cornered Porter, twatting him not in the usual sheathed claw way but claws revealed and teeth showing!! Nothing else has changed and if anything I would have been surprised if Porter, Wilbur & Sulli didn't have their game & get told off by Rigby earlier... any ideas... food, environment, habits, litter trays, my schedule, their schedule... all the same.... where now????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
21-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #2

Re: Help!!! Crisis situation with my dominant male!!!

How old are they all?
How long have you had them?
Are they all neutered?

Catsey Junior

21-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #3

As below....
RigbyBigBear 4-6yrs old, black, DLH, rescue (part panther!!)

PePo Porter de Paps de Purr! 18mths old, Black & white tuxedo & boots, DSH

BeWilbured 18mths old, black, DSH, rescue, total feral freak!

All neutered and Porter & Wilbur I have owned/been owned by since they were 9 weeks old and Bear has been with me just over 3 yrs!!!

Bear is such a chilled dominant, and only ever gets involved when absolutely necessary... the only thing I can think of is the boys have pushed their luck once too often or God forbid... Bear has had a stroke or has a brain tumour.... behavious issues I'll persevere with but don't let them be poorly... they all had such naff starts to life they deserve a chance!!!

Any advice muchly appreciated!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #4

Your house sounds like fun MCL!

I am afraid that I can't offer any advise, as the most cats I've ever had in the house at one time is two. Something has altered the balance as you suspect and I am sure that you will find out what it is. I am sure that if Bear had had some sort of CVA or other health issues you would notice other symptoms. Porter's behaviour might just have annoyed him specially that morning. How is everything today?

Catsey Junior

23-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

Well I have taken the drastic step of caging both boys (Porter & Wilbur) in a very spacious cage in the lounge... allowing Bear to investigate but not put them at risk... My thought process being that to cage Bear would be to negate his dominance and at the end of the day I suspect the boys have simply pushed their luck too far and he is simply doing his job!
I am working odd shifts because of the bank holiday weekend so thought if I left them in there until Monday night when I am in all evening and then I can monitor the introductions.... guess it's like starting from scratch!!! Would help if Porter stopped swearing at bear whenever he walked past... Bear seems totally unconcerned though....