Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #1

Kizzy's strange behaviour today

I'd been cleaning our bedroom and emptied our wastepaper basket into a bag to put in the rubbish bin and left it outside the door. I was folding up some bed linen and noticed Kizzy nosing about in the bag of rubbish and when her head came out, her mouth was full of my hair, combed out of the hairbrush! I managed to get it out of her mouth easily enough but was surprised at this behaviour, which surely would have made her sick or even caused a blockage. There was a lot of hair, as mine has been falling out steadily for more than 2 years now

Has anyone else seen their cat try this or have any insight into the seemingly strange behaviour?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #2

Re: Kizzy's strange behaviour today

Never seen or heard of that, Angie, and I'm as puzzled as you why. If it was a big clump, maybe because it smelled of you to her...???

I sympathize about the falling hair...mine was always thin to begin with, and is getting thinner!! I was surprised when I used the carpet sweeper the other day and there was a lot of long dark hair there in the tray along with Leia's fur....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
16-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #3

How very strange, I have never heard of this either. Can only assume along with DM that it was a bit of you.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
17-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #4

Harri grooms OH's beard...and my hair and skin...we discussed it and decided that it's "Our Fur" .. maybe Kizzy saw the hair and decided that it needed grooming.. just a thought!

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #5

Actually, she seems a bit off colour today and was sick in the night. I don't think she had time to swallow any of it, but can't help wondering if the things are connected. Her digestion is not what I would call robust.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #6

Now is she now, Angie? Has she eaten?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
18-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #7

given that cats can't digest their won fur... i wonder if they can digest ours?.. i would think probably not at a guess...was there anything that looked like hair in her vomit?

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #8

A catch-up on this thread - I have decided to give Kizzy biscuits only as the vet suggested - currently RC Digestive Comfort with sprinkles of granulated charcoal still. She polished off her "ration" yesterday and today - and has had no more sickness. Her poo this morning was much less smelly, but she is still "windy" poor lass. There was no hair or fur in the vomit - it looked like undigested food.

She's full of beans this morning and has been playing, I've groomed her and she's now fast asleep!

I hope that I can get to the source of her digestive problems, but I suppose that keeping her on a single food will help with any diagnosis. If there is no more sickness and her poos are normal, I will leave it until she has been on the single food for a while and take her back to the vet if she is still "smelly" - I can't believe that is normal for any cat.

She is increasing in confidence and now runs to meet people whose voice she recognises, like MIL's carer and her hairdresser (both cat lovers). She is a complete love - gentle, affectionate and playful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
18-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #9

Glad Kizzy is feeling alot better now, I think you are probably right about the hair eating as something to do with digestive upsets as Maxi who has bowel problems will also eat hair and even his own fur when I have brushed him given half a chance .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #10

I hesitate to suggest yet another possible remedy or aid for Kizzy's delicate tum.
Maybe you could think about getting these but not trying them for a week or two? It looks like the type of herbal rememdy which shouldn't cause any harm, even if it should turn out that it doesn't actually do any good

Did you ever get a pot of cat-grass growing for her? That could help too, even if only by acting as an emetic when her stomach is uncomfortable