Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: dsh tabby and tortoiseshell
11-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #1

losing the litter tray - help?!

Hi there,
we've now managed (I hope) to get into a bit of a routine going out and coming back in.
so...........
how do we encourage them to "go" outside?
I've got one litter tray outside the back door, which is used a bit, but they seem to prefer to come back in to poo and wee! Nice!

any advice gratefully received!
cheers
Helen, Marmite and Angel

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
11-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

Re: losing the litter tray - help?!

LOL Not sure if there is any tips really I think it is just upto the cats as to where they want to do it, having a litter tray outside is certainly one of the right things to do but other than doing that not to sure on what else you can do.
Both Maxi and Maisy go outside, Maisy will wee outside but still does her poops inside and Maxi dosen`t do anything outside
Someone else might beable to offer some advice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #3

Re: losing the litter tray - help?!

Move the litter tray gradually towards the back door - maybe 6" at a time and maybe taking a bit longer when you change rooms etc etc.
You'll probably find they gradually prefer 'going' outside.
However, it's probably a good idea to keep a tray somewhere in the house, for emergencies and also to keep them used to the idea, which could be useful for e.g. moving house, illness etc