Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: dsh tabby and tortoiseshell
14-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

intorducing the outside??!!

HI there,
any advise on introducing the outside world?
Marmite and Angel are 2, have been outside but are new to us (via Battersea Cats home)
we;ve been advised to keep them in for 3-6 weeks weeks depending how they settle..... what do you do then??

thoughts/ideas welcome???

Helen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #2

Re: intorducing the outside??!!

How long have you had them Helen? I would keep them in for as long as you can and for as long as it takes them to get fully comfortable with you and to understand that your home is their home!

My 3 cats are indoor only (apart from outdoors in back garden with supervision) so I'm probably someone who would err on the side of caution

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #3

I would keep them in for 6 weeks, during that time make them get used to a sound at feeding time, could be a whistle or rattling a fork on the side if a tin or rattling some crunchies in a tin. Do this every time you feed them, so they make the association. (Don't leave the food down all the time, or there will be nothing to differentiate) then one day when you have lots of time & when they are hungry (ie before breakfast) let them outside!.... Watch them, then do their little noise for food & feed them.... build on this until you are cnfident they are aware of where they now live. Ensure they are microchipped & personally mine all wear collars with ID on.

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #4

Yes - I meant to mention the microchipping . . . vital.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
14-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

microchipping for in case they get lost yes,but wot if they get stolen,or who ever finds them doesnt check for microchip,once its gone its gone

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki71uk
microchipping for in case they get lost yes,but wot if they get stolen,or who ever finds them doesnt check for microchip,once its gone its gone
Your point being?

Once what's gone?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
14-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #7

the cat lol,

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #8

Yes - it doesn't guarantee a cat will be found, but you have far more chance of being reunited with your cat if it is microchipped. Surely that's what all owners would want?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #9

Hi Helen - I am in a similar position to you in that my new cat, Kizzy, has only been with me for 2 days and is from Cats Protection. She has been microchipped and when she is ready to go out (6 weeks Smudgley???? ) I think I will get her one of these safety identity collars. It will not prevent her from being stolen, but if she is accidentally lost, it is an immediate alert for anyone who finds her. Also it will give me something to fix her catflap magnet to. It's a pity, because she has never worn a collar but I'd much rather she be as safe as possible, even though I want her to live the life of an independent cat if she wants to.

(That linking is still not working for me - I still get Page Load Error! http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/)

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #10

The longer the better, but ideally at least 6 weeks.