Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
21-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Chickens!

For a while now we have been thinking of getting some chickens. Just 2 or 3. I have never kept chickens before and would be grateful for advice and information as I know some on here have chickens. This is the coop and run we are looking at. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-COOP-HEN-HOUSE-POULTRY-ARK-HOME-NEST-RUN-COUP-X-/250823491791?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3 a663ec0cf

I am worried about foxes, so again any advice appreciated. Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

Re: Chickens!

Several members have chooks, sure someone will be along with info re foiling Mr. Fox! What fun for you. wish I could have them .... illegal inside City limits.

Catsey Veteran

21-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

That's a shame Eileen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

Kim - good luck with your chooks - I would just say that the run on that house looks a bit small to me, but may be OK if you intend to let them run about elsewhere too.

If you are worried about foxes, you need to have a buried wire netting base, as foxes are good diggers.

Will you be getting POL (point of lay)? A better deal really as you don't have to feed them for ages before they start laying.

Chickens are nice to have around and they will certainly get rid of any slug/snail pests you may have in your garden.

Catsey Veteran

21-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply Angie. We are still in the planning stages, but hope to fence off an area of the garden for them. We hope to have ex-batts. I am showing my ignorance, (we really are novices) but what does Point of Lay mean?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

They are young birds that, as the name suggests, are just coming into lay.

Ex-batts are a wonderful idea though and that's a great idea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

I know Alex keeps chickens and a few others, best of luck Kim how is the house hunting coming? are you thinking "small holding now?"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
21-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #8

Hi Kim

Good news about getting some chickens. I would say that unless you are going to be giving them a significant amount of free ranging, that the run on that coop may be on the small side. Chickens like to flap their wings and jump up to different height perching posts, so always go for as much room as possible. Ex battery hens are wonderful from what I've been told, and I'd like to take some on myself soon, once I can sort out temp accomodation for them. Just be aware that they can come looking a bit 'oven ready'!

My chicken coop and run is on concrete slabs, therefore preventing any foxes from digging in, but if you don't want to slab, you can have mesh skirting as a deterrent.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know or just general stuff

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
22-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

I've found most of these chicken runs painfully small for the number of animals they recommend. I have coops for the quail that are recommended for 2-3 hens, ibwouldn't even put one Ben in them. Have a proper look at the sizes and you may be able to get a locally made one much bigger for much less. Lots of people use electric poulty netting, it is expensive but means you can move the hens around. We have big fenced off enclosures, it is about 5 ft high and is dug into the ground too. It has 2 runs of electric fencing, one near the ground and another half way up.

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #10

Thanks all, very helpful. Alex, need to know everything really as we are complete novices!! Kazz, no buyers as yet, still hoping. Chickens will obviously come with us, stipulation for any house is a reasonable sized garden. We could wait forever!!