Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

Lead pullers for Angie

I will tell you what method we are using at training Angie.
Firstly you have to teach the dog what heel means, you need to be careful to only say heel when he is actualy at your heel, otherwise he may get the wrong idea.
we hold the lead in our right hand, tasty treat in left, we then lead the dog with the food to our left side and get them into a sit facing the direction you want to go.
Before moving off, tap your left leg, you always lead with your left and tell him to come. Make interesting noises to keep his interest and reward with bits of food when he heels and looks at you. Don't use his name to frequently whilst walking. You are aiming for a loose lead, if the lead goes tight, stop, say no pull and lead him back to your left heel before resuming walk.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Re: Lead pullers for Angie

Thanks Shelley - I've sent a link to OH for this post. It sounds more complicated than I thought but maybe not in practice.

Catsey Veteran

21-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks Shelley - I've sent a link to OH for this post. It sounds more complicated than I thought but maybe not in practice.
sounds more complex than it is Angie, but i would echo what Karen has said about puppy classes, they have certainly given us confidence and support. Even though we have done the training with Malaika we are still taking Kwame. We could do it ourselves but i like the structure of the class (makes me practice )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

Thats the same method I used with Rayne, although if she gets excited she will still pull off from time to time.
It's not complicated once you get it into practice. What I would say though, is not to do it if you are in a hurry or if you start to feel frustrated. Always try training when you are calm and relaxed and have time to spend. Always end on a possitive note.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

Angie it will all come together honest.

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Thats the same method I used with Rayne, although if she gets excited she will still pull off from time to time.
It's not complicated once you get it into practice. What I would say though, is not to do it if you are in a hurry or if you start to feel frustrated. Always try training when you are calm and relaxed and have time to spend. Always end on a possitive note.
It's the same with Malaika, sometimes she heels beautifully and at other times she is hard work. We have to work realy hard with her. Hoping Kwame will be a bit better on the lead.
Good point about having plenty of time and being relaxed Elaine , it can be frustrating,lol