Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
20-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Very poorly little hamster

my poor little Rolo (10 month old syrian hamster) has been a bit off colour for the past few days, and has been very quiet for 2 nights. I didn't see her at all last night, and when she came out of her bed for a drink this morning her abdomen was very bloated and she was wet all around her back end she didn't look like this 2 nights ago but now I am feeling really guilty thinking that I should have noticed something sooner.

I took her in today and at best she has wet tail, which isn't good in itself. Worst case scenario is she could have pyometra (womb infection) or a tumour which is leaking fluid or blood into her abdomen, both of which we will be unable to treat sucessfully We are treating her for wet tail with antibiotics and I'm giving her subcutaneous fluids every so often for her dehydration but she seems to be fading away despite this I know she's only a hamster but she's my little girl and is still special to me. I'm going to give her another 24 - 48 hours to see how she responds to treatment before I make any decisions, unless she dramatically turns in the meantime.

Please keep your fingers crossed for my little girl, I'm just praying she pulls through!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
20-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #2

Re: Very poorly little hamster

There is no such thing as "only" a hamster. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best for both of you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
20-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

hoping your little Rolo pulls though! i understand how special she is to you, i dont keep hamsters but i have ratties and it is always a worry when they are unwell! sounds like your doing all you can, keeping her safe and hydrated, is she eating?

Catsey Senior

20-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

She's still eating which can only be a good thing, she's just very quiet and isn't really drinking much, hence the fluids. She's not passing faeces as much as she normally does though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #5

Poor little thing - I used to keep hamsters long ago. They are delightful animals. Positive healing vibes coming for her and (((hugs))) for you.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Rescue centre - currently LOTS
20-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #6

Hope she gets better soon xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #7

Hope she starts to improve..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #8

Fingers and toes crossed here for Rolo. xx

Catsey Senior

21-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #9

Thank you all so much for your kind wishes.

My brave little Rolo made her decision for me last night, and unfortunately lost her battle at around 3am this morning I was up with her a lot of the night, syringing her water and giving her fluids little and often but I guess it was just too little too late for my little princess

I'm going to take her to work this morning and perform a small post mortem on her. I'd just like to know for definite which of the 3 it was, if any.

RIP Rolo, taken from me so young <3 I miss you already

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
21-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #10

I'm sorry sleep tight rolo x