Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #11

Re: Puppy info for Angie

He's just had a spell of being naughty - pulling clothes off the chairs in the bedroom and barking at Kizzy. I've shut him in the sitting room with OH now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
He's just had a spell of being naughty - pulling clothes off the chairs in the bedroom and barking at Kizzy. I've shut him in the sitting room with OH now!

Are mini's a vocal breed with a lot to say for themselves? I ask because Staffs are they talk a lot.

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #13

Yes, I they can be barkers!

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #14

Then encourage him to barkl on command when he barks say "talk/speak" whatever word you want then when he is quiet, say "shh/hush" something. Then you will be channelling his barking to your timescale not his.

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #15

Good ............... theory! We are happy with him barking if for example, someone comes up to the house and we haven't noticed, although with gravel all around this tends to be less of an issue. He does bark at the cats and, for some reason, Pip's treat ball. So far he hasn't barked at someone at the door. So, I guess you'd say it's random atm.

His separation anxiety is the next thing that needs serious tackling. He is distraught if OH just goes to the lavatory!

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Good ............... theory! We are happy with him barking if for example, someone comes up to the house and we haven't noticed, although with gravel all around this tends to be less of an issue. He does bark at the cats and, for some reason, Pip's treat ball. So far he hasn't barked at someone at the door. So, I guess you'd say it's random atm.

His separation anxiety is the next thing that needs serious tackling. He is distraught if OH just goes to the lavatory!
You need to resolve that ASAP. Otherwise you will be in trouble later.

Mind you that may sort itself when he can go out on his lead, make sure you take him waks on your own so he is in effect apart from OH but too busy to care.......
also if OH leaves the room try encouraging him in a game of tug or something, so he gtes used to it.

Just need to ask am I doing your head in with all this advice.

And with regard to barking at the door that often does not come at all, I think some dogs take a while to suss the noise of the bell door and someone coming in then all of a sudden it clicks.
Sal never bothers if someone knocks on the door or rings the bell but if they do not she barks. As if in her head if they make themselves known she thinks - okay - whereas if they do not she makes it known to us. And at night she is a lot more alert, but they soon suss out "regular noise" to "unusual noise" thats worth alerting me about. If he barks at the treat ball then use that as a tool to get him to bark when you want him to. Hold it up and when he barks say "speak" or whatever. That way you can transfer that training to any situation.

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #17

Good thinking about the treat ball ..... he unfailingly barks at it - no idea why. He doesn't bark at a normal ball or even a squeaky one.

Also good idea about taking him out without OH ..... will have to schedule that in.

No, please keep on with the advice. Invaluable to know there's someone who has experience and can advise. We got a local number from the vet for a trainer, so will give her a call for more info and anything puppy orientated. It's going to be a busy 6 weeks!

Catsey Veteran

18-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Good thinking about the treat ball ..... he unfailingly barks at it - no idea why. He doesn't bark at a normal ball or even a squeaky one.

Also good idea about taking him out without OH ..... will have to schedule that in.

No, please keep on with the advice. Invaluable to know there's someone who has experience and can advise. We got a local number from the vet for a trainer, so will give her a call for more info and anything puppy orientated. It's going to be a busy 6 weeks!

The pup sounds like he is progressing perfectly normaly he will enjoy the puppy classes so will you.