Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Funny thing about me and dogs

I don't feel nearly as comfortable or relaxed with Monty. Is this because I've not lived with a dog before? I think he's cute of course and would never want to hurt him, but I don't get that warm fuzzy loving and protective feeling that I get with the cats.

Am I mad, or just a cat person to the core? Will it change as I get more used to him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Re: Funny thing about me and dogs

Its probably because you have not had a dog before Angie..Takes him to get to know a pup...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
11-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

I think you just need to get used to having a dog around angie ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

As a 100% cat person, can't obviously offer any advice. I have never wanted to have a relationship with a dog, they are so so different from cats ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

Sorry Angie and forgive me if this come across the wrong way, not intended, but why did you want to get a dog? Did you feel warm and fuzzy when you first saw Monty? Maybe you have become so tuned into the cats that you are finding it a little difficult to fully understand the dogs behaviours? I dont know, I am just trying to quiz why you are perhaps not bonding with Monty as you thought you might.
I'm sure it'll all work itself out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
11-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

I have to say I love dogs but I am not as fond as I am with cats. I think Elaines right its about being tuned into their behaviour. I think we build up that connection over time spent with our cats and we get to know and love the things they do collectively and their individual characters. It will take time to do this with Monty. But I like a cats independence, indifference and quirkiness. Dogs were bred to be what they are cats are hunters, inbuilt fighting machines by design (teeth and claws) and that instinct and ability is not because of breed or training it is what they are (Thats my opinion, and I have only had one dog so not much basis to substanstiate this with sorry)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
As a 100% cat person, can't obviously offer any advice. I have never wanted to have a relationship with a dog, they are so so different from cats ......
Thats maybe the problem, dogs, especially pups are a lot of work, Its constant...left to their own devises , a dog will just be a nightmare...
Cats are so simple in comparision...............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #8

When i finally at last got cats of my own, i didnt really notice much difference except on the house training front. Kittens are so amazing, show a litter tray and that is it done

Puppies are hard work and look to you for play and attention, warmth, training and guidence

Kittens are independent. Puppies are dependent.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #9

I think Tink described it perfectly in an earlier post: dogs are needy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
12-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #10

Dogs certainly require alot more work and training. I wouldn't be living with them if K were not a dog person. Of course I wish them no ill harm, I just don't feel bonded to them. Their attention is a little overwhelming to me, their love a little too "in your face" for my liking.

Then again, that lovey dovey feeling with any animal sometimes is gradual rather than instant. Possibly you'll grow to it over time and maybe you are a cat person to the core, possibly something to learn about yourself over time and not something that can be answered now.

Either way, I'm sure you love him, even if it may not be in quite the same respect as cats. Time will tell I suppose if it will get to the the same level. Or maybe it's just a different kind of love that you're just starting to experience and it's all a bit too foreign to recognize.

I think animals help us learn more about ourselves and what we want in a companion. I've had a myriad of animals and I have learned a ton about what kind of love is easier for me to give or tougher. I just kind of take notes and apply it to future decisions and what I can expect from myself.