Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Cooper..

has had two seizures over the last few days. One was very bad, I thought he was dying in my arms as his breathing was labored.
This is my ferret who is elderly who was diagnosed with insulinoma and also has a mass near his bladder we haven't been able to look into more yet because his blood glucose is just still proving hard to stabalize.
I know it's not a ferret forum or anything but I'd appreciate some thoughts for him. He lost use of his back legs this morning and he was so scared he was flailing and panicking, prob felt so vulnerable.
I was able both times to get his glucose stable, will have a talk with vet on Monday about increase the Pred, etc.
I am just torn up about him.
On the good side he quite enjoyed being held and spoon fed meat baby food, bless his heart he licked my hands in thanks. Sweet dear boy has not had an easy life, spent all his life in a cage except the last year with me. I'd like a little more time with him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #2

Re: Cooper..

Awww Tink how very distressing. I am sure he knows he is in safe hands with you and appreciates all that you have done and are doing for him.
I am sending lots of healing vibes and little tickles under the chin xx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

Poor Cooper, sorry to hear this, Tink

Sending the little fella lots of healing vibes ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Loads of positive vibes for Cooper. Tink, you are a wonder with ferrets and I'm sure you will know when your wanting more time with him will just be too much for him. Of course I understand you wanting to go the extra bit of quality life with him ...... he certainly deserves your care as much as you want to give it to him. Difficult decision - I know that you trust your vet and maybe she will be able to help with that. Not easy ((((hugs))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
08-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

aww im so sorry to hear about cooper when my rats are ill i ask myself a few questions, 'are they getting a good qaulity of life?' are they in pain? and i know when they stop eating, even their treats that it is the time, but its still the most awful decision to make.
he is still enjoying his food and enjoying spending time with you, and you can mod his house to make it easier for him to get around. speak to your vet, hopefully you can still have a bit of extra time with him x x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone.
Right now I feel it could go either way. He is 8 so I know that is getting up there for a ferret and I knew that when I adopted him I would not have a whole lifetime with him.
Insulinoma is so tough because when their glucose drops they either seize or lose the power to walk and they look so close to death you are just about sure it is their time. Then maybe the steroids start kicking in and the glucose stabalizes and you see a bit more light in them. His light isn't anything particularly brilliant as he is an old man so he just kind of potters from the food bowl to the litter box to the bed when he is well. I'll see him cuddled with a cagemate or like tonight he gave me a kiss on the lips while putting him to bed and I'll think he's still got a bit in him but I have also that feeling it's coming soon too. And not knowing exactly what that unrelated mass is in addition to all this is not making matters easier. He doesn't appear to be in pain, just panics when he loses control of himself which of course is completely reasonable. Maybe it will be as easy as a Prednisone adjustment in dosage. I guess we'll see what the vet has to say.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
08-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

*hugs*

Regardless of whether or not this is a ferret forum, we're all animal lovers, and we care about people loosing any animal - it hurts just the same, no matter what the pet was, they were (and are) still a much loved member of the family.

Thoughts etc with you Tink. Hope he manages to recover for at least a wee while longer.