Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #21

Re: A bad night with Monty

Last night was horrible and Monty wasn't even in the crate - OH is completely worn out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
27-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #22

Sorry to hear about last night Angie. Morgan's first night with us was fine as he was so exhausted but the 2nd night was horrendous, hard to believe that a little pup could make so much noise and keep it up for so long too

I hate to say it but it can take a couple of weeks for puppies to settle at night, people liken it to having a new baby in the house

Different advice from different people doesn't help much either as you don't know which to follow. A lot of people will say to use earplugs and tough it out, puppy will soon realise that it's safe, well-loved and its people will be with him again come the morning. We followed that approach with a previous dog and it worked a treat, only the first 3 nights were disturbed. Morgan was a different prospect but OH would insist on getting up all the time because he couldn't stand the noise and maybe Morgan needed a wee, we then suffered broken sleep for weeks and weeks!

Others feel that the pup is distressed and it's cruel not to comfort him but the pup might learn that it cries and you come running. It's tough finding out what's the best routine for your particular dog, meantime persist with gentle crate training during the day as it's worth it in the long run. Kittens are a lot easier!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #23

You could try just before bedtime soaking a baby rusk in a little tepid semi skimmed milk so that his tummy is full to see if that helps. It does get better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
27-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
You could try just before bedtime soaking a baby rusk in a little tepid semi skimmed milk so that his tummy is full to see if that helps. It does get better.
I was always told that most dogs are lactose intolerant and shouldn't be given any cow's milk, but I agree that a little something before bed might help, perhaps a few bits of his kibble or mixer, you could soak it with a little water or dog milk if he prefers it that way.

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #25

Last night things seemed promising. I gave Monty a small saucer of dog milk, settled him with his Bonzo dog with warm snugglesafe pad and he settled. Lights left on, radio on softly. I went to bed. He started howling just before 2.00. We put up with it for 1 hour before we couldn't stand it any longer and OH got up and took him in the lounge. Of course Monty soon fell asleep with his new Daddy.

Just now, Monty is asleep in his crate, door open. He has his bed, his Bonzo comforter (still surprisingly warm). He got out once and tried going to sleep here in the study. I picked him up and put him back in the crate with no fuss just a little kiss on the top of his head. He is still there.

This all seems rather promising - it's just when the night comes and WE want to sleep too! OH is all for moving furniture in the bedroom and taking the crate in there tonight.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Last night things seemed promising. I gave Monty a small saucer of dog milk, settled him with his Bonzo dog with warm snugglesafe pad and he settled. Lights left on, radio on softly. I went to bed. He started howling just before 2.00. We put up with it for 1 hour before we couldn't stand it any longer and OH got up and took him in the lounge. Of course Monty soon fell asleep with his new Daddy.

Just now, Monty is asleep in his crate, door open. He has his bed, his Bonzo comforter (still surprisingly warm). He got out once and tried going to sleep here in the study. I picked him up and put him back in the crate with no fuss just a little kiss on the top of his head. He is still there.

This all seems rather promising - it's just when the night comes and WE want to sleep too! OH is all for moving furniture in the bedroom and taking the crate in there tonight.
This has just made me laugh outloud

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #27

This is why I had a vision of you been moved into the kitchen. As there is no mention of you staying in the bedroom.

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #28

Look there are varying ways of going about this and you have to decide. Looks promising that he was quiet until 2 unless of course h only went to bed at 1.55 but the fact OH got up just means in effect the pup has learnt that crying brings a person he has no concept of time so he think cry = comfort. If anything OH should have put him straight back into his crate when he fell asleep....I think he is a bit of a soft touch......

I know is old fashioned and may be a bit harsh but.....you have not got room in the bedroom and more to the point you have two cats i there already do you want the dog in the room?

I have a feeling tonight may be as bad but it will improve honestly.......

I think we now have to stop concentrating on the pup and think of making you and OH feel comfortable, safe adn secure in your bedroom. Maybe a crate for OH would do the trick with the door closed.

It is terrible the noise a pup can make it can drive you to distraction but I have to tell you you soon "forget"until you go through it again.

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #29

well, I knew what I meant!!!

It's not so much OH being the soft touch, it's me not being able to put up with the noise and OH trying to help me out by going to quieten Monty. I do agree that probably Monty should be put back in his crate every time he falls asleep, so that when he wakes he thinks "That was nice. I like it here".

I'm all for giving it one more night for Monty in the kitchen. As you say, poor us, more especially POOR CATS - Pip being only just in recovery. They are used to sleeping with us and we with them.

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #30

I would see how you go leave it till Monday...............may seem a lifetime away but only a small % in the grand scale of things.

And I will change what I say, OH can put you in the crate and close the door
Get earplugs...........

Other than that how is he getting on? how are the cats taking to him and how are you and OH taking to puppy ownership?