Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
26-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #11

Re: A bad night with Monty

aww poor puppy! i think when we got our first labrador pup when i was living at home, she used to cry through the night, someone recommended to us to put a watch under her bed, so she's reminded of the mums heartbeat at night? cant remember if this worked or not but she did settle. or could you take a blanket and get mums scent on it to help soothe him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
We had no success with crate training Angie, Morgan simply didn't like it at all. .
Some do some dont. We bought one for Katie as she was the tiniest Boxer puppy we had ever seen, even a kitten collar was too big on her. This was with the door open she screamed hysterically - very loud lungs for such a tiny creature. She clawed at the metal bars & bit them so hard in such a frenzy - it was really awful to see a puppy so distressed. She didnt appear able to find her way out. Once lifted out all was calm! Our adult Boxer tried to get in the puppy crate with "no" success

Im not a crate lover although admit they have their uses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

Thanks for all the advice which sounds very realistic. I had hoped that crating would be a good safe way to be able to leave a puppy alone for very short periods if necessary, as well as at night. I had used the crate for Pip when he was a very small kitten because I didn't want for him to get into trouble at night unattended and also, I needed to be able to trust that Kizzy wouldn't eat him!

The crate is located in the kitchen atm - where most of everything goes on during the day, so it's not isolated. At night, unfortunately our bedroom is not large enough to be able to place it safely without the risk of me or OH doing ourselves serious mischief if we had to get up in the night (we both generally have to nowadays!).

I think we are resigned to leaving Monty in the kitchen with doors closed, but not in the crate. We have moved the cats' food into the spare room, where they have a gated peaceful place to escape to. I will also move the water fountain in there before bed time tonight. The breeder has made sure that each puppy (there were 3) has a good sized piece of blanket with mum and litter mates scent on it - so he does have that. He has a little puppy bed which he quite likes and uses during the day.

Just hope for a more peaceful night tonight. I'm absolutely tired out!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
26-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #14

I think I'd still persevere with the crate Angie as they can be so useful, can you prop the door open for him over night so he can go in and out? Sometimes putting a small ticking clock in an inaccesible place can be reassuring although maybe Bonzo has something like that?, sorry if I missed it.
We had a DAP collar for Darcy in the early days which really seemed to help.
Sending' peaceful night' vibes your way!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #15

Thanks Liz - DAP collar is a good idea!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #16

I hope all of you have a peaceful night's sleep tonight .........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
26-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #17

Yep - hope Monty is better settled this evening, esp after a day of being used to you all - and that all is calm, or at least calmer, over night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
26-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #18

I think if you do want to use a crate, then like PL says, persevere with it . I understand you not wanting the crate in the bedroom but think you should leave it in the kitchen, door open with his comforter in, i too have heard a ticking clock can be useful. Encourage him in for short periods during the day, maybe make a decision that he goes in for 5 mins with door closed and stick to it, try to release him when he's quiet otherwise you will teach him that whining gets him out
It is very hard at first but things will settle and you will be able to enjoy him more.
Malaika was crate trained when we got her and she slept in out room, she did fuss for a short while but settled eventualy. We had to get up once in the night to let her outside for a wee. After a few months we allowed her on our bed because we don't mind this but continued to use the crate during the day when we were out. She is reaching the stage were we leave her out in the room on trust now.
Kwame is a different matter, he has slept on the bed from the word go but we want to leave him in the crate when we are out during the day.
We are struggling with it though as he screams, thrashes and generaly creates a terrible fuss.
In a while Monty will be so settled that it will seem as if he's been with you always.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-04-2011, 03:11 AM   #19

Sorry was out on my way to work earlier. Sound advice all round from everyone especially people with recent puppy additions.

I know if you want to use a cage, then you have to persevere no good giving up after one night. You could of course move the cat food etc and leave the crate in the kitchen but instead of shutting the crate door leave it open put his bedding in there and see what happens, I think you are going to have to tough out the crying. But if you want to use the crate you are going to have to persevere dogs are more creatures of routine than anything and if you want that "peace mind" then you have to accustom the pup to it. Whatever it is.

When during the day Monty falls asleep where ever he is (and honestly pups fall asleep in lots of places even leaning on footballs... pop him in the crate so he wakes and realises he is safe etc.

Try the radio not sure about a watch - but the idea is similar. Same as not being quiet when the pup is asleep during the day - he has to get used to everything you can't spend the next 15 years or so creeping round....see what I mean.

Have to say tried a crate with Sal and Tess and never managed to get either to like it or not throw a hissy fit when put in it. Although when we got Tess; Sal was 18 months old and tried to get in the crate everytime the door was open.....strange animals dogs. Although I know now if I wanted Sal to go into a cage she would go no problem and fall asleep. Because she trusts me, Monty is just learning that. And he will.

Also how is Monty to travel in the car? is it by cage? if so then start off doing this while he is small too you don;t even have to do anything more than start the engine and build up to small journeys.

Honestly the first week or so will be a learning period both sides, .
both parties human and canine are learning...sadly Monty does not know it will all work out and soon he will "remember" and know nothing but you two and the cats. You will be his world.

Hope you are having a better night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
27-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #20

Mmmm - hope that last night was a good night, and that you were able to enjoy all three of your little ones being with you.