Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

A bad night with Monty

Monty HOWLED and was such a very unhappy lad last night. Of course I know that he was missing his mother and his brothers and the comfort that he's been used to since birth. I couldn't leave him howling so and had to go and sit with him until he calmed down. He was very distressed and it wasn't until the wee hours of the morning that I got to bed. He cannot abide the crate and was only comforted when I put Bonzo puppy comforter on the floor for him to cuddle. He also doesn't like the dark! He started keening again at around 5.00 ish and OH got up to him. He's not been very keen to eat, although he has had a little and managed a saucer of dog milk this morning. I made him some scrambled egg and he did eat a little bit. He's just had about three quarters of his meal - predictably he was asleep at his usual mealtime!

Any suggestions welcome! Do I continue to try to crate him at night? He has been very good toilet-wise and we have only had one small puddle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #2

Re: A bad night with Monty

Ahh the joys of puppies.............the noisy critters. I do not envy you this bit Angie.

Have you read these http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974

Back in a minute.

Catsey Veteran

26-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

Okay lets look at this logically.

Its heartbreaking.
If the pup you think does not like the dark then leave a light on be it an oven light if in the kitchen or a under cupboard light.
Leave maybe a radio on low, and give the pup somthing to cuddle up to be it a old towel/cuddly toy/ something.

Catsey Veteran

26-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

In the old days ....... a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel/and in a water bottle cover. So they could keep warm maybe microwave things available now.

Opps sorry just realised that is what Bonzo is

Catsey Veteran

26-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #5

I know this sounds terrible but I cannot really recall any tips, other than the above I know none of my dogs have ever slept upstairs. I have to say you soo forget this bit...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks Kazz - did leave a strip of lights on we have 3 rows in the kitchen, 1 was plenty. No-one sleeps upstairs as we live in a bungalow!!! Radio may be a good idea.

What about the crate? I have read the Dogsey article(s) but nowhere can I find what to do if the puppy gets in such distress when put in the crate at night - it's around all day with door open and he was in an enclosed crate (but without a top) at the breeder's but of course with mum and brothers at night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #7

Ah but you just cant close the door at night, they need built up to it.

Personally & i know not everyone agrees with this i take pups into bedroom at night. Take his crate, put him to bed in the bedroom with crate door open. They take comfort from
hearing you breathe & know youre near. If he howls or gets up - sussh him gently & back to bed in the crate

It does get easier. I always sectioned off an area of the room, laid down polythene sheeting (dustin bags opened out) layer of paper, puppy bed on top plus puppy pads or paper - whatever youre using. So easy to bundle soiled paper & polythene up in morning

If determined to use crate, through day start shutting door but only for max of minute or two at a time & then open it so he gets used to idea of crate with door shut. If he cries open immediately but walk away, dont fuss

Kittens compared to puppies are sooooo easy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Sorry it's off to a distressing start. Hope the above advice will help, Angie; I can't offer any suggestions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
26-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #9

Sounds to me like Velvet and Kazz have good ideas for you there Angie. Hope that makes it easier for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
26-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #10

We had no success with crate training Angie, Morgan simply didn't like it at all. We tried all the ideas - getting him used to it during the day, feeding him in there, getting him to hunt for bits of kibble in there, nice comfy bed, microwave hottie (which he chewed!) and blanket on the top to make it den-like. We had to lock the door from the first night to keep the cats relaxed and we just hoped that Morgan would eventually get used to it.

One thing I would change next time is to have the crate in a more obvious place during the day so the puppy could go in there and still be where all the action is, we tried to have it tucked away in a tidy spot but it was possibly a bit isolated in retrospect, and I would give the puppy an old sweaty T-shirt of mine to snuggle into at night. I'd not used a crate before with other dogs and I think we expected the puppy would settle after a couple of days, they usually do but ours didn't!

Most people I know find that puppy is loads more settled after a few days but you'll still have to get up for the middle of the night wees for a while yet.