Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #11

Re: Question about handstripping

Hello Elaine not a point about coat but spaying in general. I am under the impression that if you spay a bitch before her first season the best age is 4-5 months, any older than 5 months and there is a risk that the first season may be
about to start thus increasing the surgical risk.
I have always believed the best time is 3ish months after first season.
Although Sal was spayed at 5. But I did have a plan on having s litter from her but that never happened when I became ill, and I just never got round to having her spayed but then when she was 5 I did, as I did not want any risks as she got older than that. She was fine, and the old wives tale they put on weight is incorrect I just reduced her food slightly and kept the same excercise.
Just remember after first season about 12 months she will be filling out naturaly anyhow. Common sense I think, which you have by the bucket load.

I personaly would not spay before first season, just not keen on the idea myself but then Staffs are not mature until 18 months 2.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #12

Thanx for that Kazz.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
30-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Do you think it would be detremental to her health if she were to be spayed before she had a proper season? Is it just a question of allowing her to mature properly first?
She isnt physically mature Elaine, and the risk of urinary incontinence is much greater in prepubescent spayed bitches. Id wait, absolutely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #14

Thanx Dawn.