Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Question about handstripping

I guess BD would be the best person to answer this so here is my question.
Will Raynes coat change texture if I have her spayed and therefore need to be clipped rather than stripped?
A groomer told me that this would be the case. If this is the case will clipping her coat make her more exposed to the elements?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #2

Re: Question about handstripping

I've no idea about a border's coat but I know that neutering has a huge effect on the coat of cocker spaniels, both boys and girls. It goes all weak and fluffy instead of straight and silky and it becomes impossible to strip so neutered CSs are usually clipped.

Why not send BD a PM?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

Would echo above for Golden Retrievers. The undercoat becomes very soft and profuse. The outercoat is fluffy and loses texture. A friend has Italian Spinones (coats more like Borders) and she has similar problems.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
25-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Hi there.

Most bitches coats in Borders do not change, but a few do. I have a spayed bitch here and her coat never changed a bit. The males certainly do and Id say 90% will need clipping but it doesnt seem to be the case with bitches.

Clipping ruins a Borders coat, destroys the harsh texture, makes it totally UN weatherproof and it goes all fluffy too.

Has she had a season yet?

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #5

No season to speak of as yet, am also undecided as to whether I should spay her before she has a proper season or not...
She did swell up like a pumpkin but no bleeding and no signs of phantom, so may have been a colourless season...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #6

Just a possibly stupid question from non-dog person: what is handstripping?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Just a possibly stupid question from non-dog person: what is handstripping?
Essentially it's plucking out unwanted hair to retain the required look for the breed, I only really know about cockers though. Morgan for example would have a very tufty head if I just allowed the hair to grow but I maintain a shorter, thinner hair growth by plucking out what I don't want. It sounds horrendous I know, but he's really used to it and often falls asleep while I'm doing it He ends up with a smooth head which shows up the good shape of his skull.

Show people do a much more extensive handstrip than just the head of course but it's not necessary for us I'm glad to say as it really makes your arms ache! Morgan goes to a breeder/shower every 8 weeks and she does a bit more stripping as and when she thinks it's needed. I believe handstriping a terrier's coat is rather different though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the explanation, MrsH. It sounds rather painful, like plucking your eyebrows, but apparently Morgan doesn't mind..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
29-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
No season to speak of as yet, am also undecided as to whether I should spay her before she has a proper season or not...
She did swell up like a pumpkin but no bleeding and no signs of phantom, so may have been a colourless season...
Id certainly wait Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Id certainly wait Elaine.
Do you think it would be detremental to her health if she were to be spayed before she had a proper season? Is it just a question of allowing her to mature properly first?