Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
23-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #11

Re: Do you lock your cats in at night?

I agree with the others, this is a silly policy. When I worked at Wood Green we wouldn't rehome a cat as an indoor only cat, but that was the only stipulation, and that rule was bent on occassion too. I think, as Smudgley says, each person should be judged on their own merits.

Personally, I have made the choice to have my garden cat-proofed so the cats can come and go as they please into the garden, but cannot leave the garden. This works for me, but I know it wouldn't work for everyone.

Good luck in finding another rescue centre and the perfect kitten for you!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #12

Pleased to read Smudgley's post.
Some rescues make life difficult for themselves and give others a bad name with some of their inflexible rules.

I think it's up to everyone how they deal with this. For what it's worth, all my cats have had outside access when they wished (more or less) except in this house where we've never got round to a cat flap and there are no easily accessible upstairs windows. If we get a flap the boys will be able (but I would think unlikely) to go out at night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #13

My cats are predominently indoor so I can't comment from personal experience. However, I feel it depends on so much as to whether a cat goes out at night or indeed goes out at all. Location is important but of key importance is the cat itself. Is it streetwise? Is it confident . . . i.e., won't scare too easily and run blindly if confronted with something unknown? Is it used to being outside at night?

There is no right or wrong answer I feel (as with kids, dogs etc). If the cat is used to it/ok with it, then that should be the primary consideration.

Finally - it's always puzzled me a little why it is felt OK for a cat to go out during the day but be locking in at night? Why is it considered safer during the day when surely traffic is heavier, there are more people about and the cat is more visible and therefore susceptable to potential theft/abuse?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
24-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #14

Many of you say your cats go out during the day but are locked in at night why? As I feel it is safe for mine to go out during the day so they have access to go out at night too. In summer Rosie prefers to spend most of the night outside and she loves to hunt at night. Alfie is only eight months old and has not yet found the fascination for going out at night but I am sure he will. After all cats are notoriously nocturnal. Incidentally both of my cats are spayed of course.

There are always risks but I would not be comfortable having cats confined to indoors as I don't think it is natural and if there was nowhere safe for them to go outside I wouldn't have them.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #15

As previously said, Cassie is locked in at night. She has a cat flap but I wouldn't leave it unlocked all night if she were to go out. There are several cats around my area who wouldn't think twice about coming in an open flap or window.

Also, no way would I lock the flap at night knowing she couldn't get back in until morning........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
24-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
There are always risks but I would not be comfortable having cats confined to indoors as I don't think it is natural and if there was nowhere safe for them to go outside I wouldn't have them.
I guess we all go by our own personal experiences. I have owned cats for over 20 years now and in that time I have had 2 killed on the road, one seriously injured on the road and 3 disappear never to return again ALL these incidences occured during the night. So now, I like my cats in at night and they are no longer nocturnal, they have the same day/night pattern as we do. I also have 3 pedigree cats who never go out. They are just too curious and friendly, being obviously pedigree they would likely be stolen or get themselves into mischief being so curious. It's a totally different ball game with some pedigree breeds, these 3 of mine have never been out so they no no different.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
24-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #17

My cats are in most of the time at the moment as I am out most of the days and don't like l;eaving them out. Anyway to get back to the point both mine are shut in at night as I would worry about them otherwise.
But in tha past Buster has cheasd the Fox not the other way round so they are just being silly.

Best of luck finding somewhere that can let you have a kitten.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #18

Hi My cat flap is never locked - well I tell a fib there, actually it was locked when Cleo had her Op last year and was recuperating so to speak and is also locked around bonfire night - precaution really with fireworks.
Cleo and Oscar could come and go when they pleased in fact Cleo still can and does she is often to be seen outside about in the morning just sitting.

One of the reasons for moving here was a the culde sac no main roads nearby for the cats.

Think its a bit high handed for a rescue to say no.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
24-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie

All off my 9 cats are indoor only cats and never attempt to get out. As they have never been out that this lifestyle is natural for them. Persians are not the most cleverest of cats and would easily put themselves in risky situations and also there is the chance they would be stolen. They of course are all pedigree but if I was to get a moggy I would still keep it inside away from cars and any other dangers. Like Fran I too have had cats knocked down, disappeared one even had her spine broken by somone hiting her across her back with a large stick, we had to have her put down. This was all before I had experience of indoor only cats. I would now rather my cats live indoors and to a good age than have any of these heartbreaking things happen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #20

My two may be the exception rather than the rule then Kay as Oz was 23 when PTS and Cleo is 24 now both always been in and out when the mood took them. Although my cat before these two Archie was less than 1 when run over and killed RTA as they call it. But each to their own each to their own.

Karen