Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
23-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #1

Do you lock your cats in at night?

Hi all. I've just had a conversation with a lady from my local animal rescue charity as I'm thinking I may want to adopt a kitten from them. Everything seemed OK, till she asked me if my cats were kept locked in at night. I said no, they have a catflap and come and go as they please. I explained we live on a very quiet, no through road.

Apparently their policy is not to let people adopt who won't keep the cat locked in at night. I could've lied I suppose, but don't see why I should, as it's not something I see anything wrong in. She said it was as much to do with foxes as traffic, and whilst we do have urban foxes round here, we've lived here with cats for 9 years without any problems.

She is going to talk to another volunteer about it, so I'll see what she says, but it has put me off a bit to be honest!

Am I wrong in letting my cats come and go as they please?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #2

Re: Do you lock your cats in at night?

I always lock Cassie in at night ......... my choice as I would worry about her if she was out all night. During the summer she tends to stay out later, chasing insects etc, and I have been known to stay up until the early hours many a time until she is safely inside....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
23-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #3

My cat, Oli is an indoor cat, so I cant really comment on him. Although, when i was looking for a cat the rescue centres (Think it was CPL) told me i wasnt allowed an indoor cat, even though I explained to them that i am by a busy road and would be worried for his safety.

But my nan has four cats, all of which can come and go as they please - through the cat flap. She has never had any problems with them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #4

My cats do not get out everyday, they are more or less house cats, if the weather is nice, I will open a window for them, and they get out for a couple of hours....They have never been out at night..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy
Hi all. I've just had a conversation with a lady from my local animal rescue charity as I'm thinking I may want to adopt a kitten from them.

Apparently their policy is not to let people adopt who won't keep the cat locked in at night.

Am I wrong in letting my cats come and go as they please?
... no!

That's a ridiculous policy. I never understand how some people think they can stimpulate a,b,c,d & so on about the animals lifesyle once it leaves them.

From a personal point of view, my young cat doesn't go out, but my 2 adults come & go (no cat flap) but they ask to come in & out, if they're in when we go to bed...they're in, if they're out... they're out. simple!

From a point of view of a person who rehomes through rescue, I would suggest to all potential owners that kittens are supervised when they 1st go out & not left out overnight when young, but once they are neutered & a bit streetwise, those decisions are personal & up to the individual who is adopting the cat to make. Also collars & feeding, I can give my opinion on collars, but I'd never insist one way or the other, I can tell them what food they've been on, but once they leave here, it's a personal choice.

My advise, go to another rescue place, there's loads out there.... (if your stuck, come to me!)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
23-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies.

Smudgely, your reply is particularly interesting as someone 'on the other side' as it were! I do feel it is a little heavy handed. We've adopted 3 from the RSPCA in the past (Des and Bubs, and my late lamented Mizzie), and I don't think they had a problem with it. And, as I explained to the lady, we're very experienced and very careful when we bring a new kitten to the house, i.e. keeping them in until neutered, collars, microchips, introducing them slowly to the other cats, etc.

If I were nearer to you Smudgely, I'd be there like a shot!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #7

I like all of my cats locked in at night but that's my personal choice.

I think the thing about the foxes is ridiculous. Most foxes wouldn't tackle an adult healthy cat unless they were desperate to feed their young.

I'd be inclined to go and find your new kitty somewhere else. Good luck and do let us know how you get on x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #8

I think it very much depends on personal circumstances and choice - and the cat! I prefer to lock mine in at night, and lock the flap if they are all in when we go to bed, but sometimes one of them (Misty usually) is out so we have to leave it unlocked. we live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have never had any problems in the 12 years we have been here.

I agree Fran, the bit about the foxes is stupid. We used to feed 2 foxes and the cats sometimes chased them! They never showed any interest in the cats at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
23-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #9

My cats are only allowed out when I am at home and they are never allowed out at night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #10

I'm sure the lady from the rescue, who said this - whoever she may be, means well & I'm sure she has the cats best interest at heart, but it's all rubbish!
some rescues say.....can't rehome if there's kids..... can't rehome if there's dogs...... can't rehome if you are too fat or too thin! it makes me angry, I have enough trouble rehoming them & I'm not fussy (please don't think I rehome to any Tom Dick & Harry, we always home check as you know)..., but I think if rescues were a bit more helpful & understanding of people then they wouldn't struggle as much to find homes......

My policy is simple, judge each & every person on their own merit, if they seem genuine & love cats, that'll do for me!