Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #1

Onyx - little bit of progress

As some of you know she's a very wary frightened stray that's been in the neighborhood since Summer of '05; my friend Carolyn had been feeding her, and after she moved away I took it on. She's let me get close enough to pet her twice, and smelled my fingers (Carolyn was astounded to hear that!); and today when I went out for her second meal, she was waiting on the sidewalk beside my wall...let me get within about 4 feet of her and then,,,,spoke! A very small rusty "mew"! I was so astonished that I said "What did you say?", and she mewed again!! Just then, my neighbor came around the corner with his Jack Russell, so Onyx hightailed it across the street to hide under a parked car...Chris left, and she came back, jumped on the wall and started eating! I am chuffed...she's never spoken before...ad I think this is a good sign...????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #2

Re: Onyx - little bit of progress

Thats brilliant DM, she is begining to trust you now, hopfully she will let you pet her in time, well done with your patience....

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #3

How exciting Eileen, she is beginning to trust you at last How nice that she 'spoke' to you too!

I hope that by the warmer weather she will have gained your trust completely......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #4

Ahhhh now you're on speaking terms, sounds brilliant news, and the fact she came back to you when the "danger" of the dog had gone speaks volumes too. You are obviously not perceived as a danger but a source of "niceness" in her world.

Big leap forward Eileen so pleased.

Catsey Veteran

22-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #5

Being sort of a pragmatist, Karen, think I'm really more of a source of "food" more than "niceness", but then maybe in her mind, that's the same thing...it was such as rusty little mew, as if she hadn't used her voice in a while......and she did come in all the snow yesterday for her tea" I expected to find the food still in the plate covered with snow this morning, but it had been eaten...just new-fallen snow in it......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #6

See I was going to saya source of food but she must have had a source of food of somesort before (to still be alive) so the fact she now associates YOU with the food is a big step forward don't you think?maybe she does not use her voice very much I imagine being a stray/feral its better to be quiet than noisy - what surprises me is she has not got kittens? or hasn't had any you are aware of maybe she was someone's pet and spayed at some point.

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #7

That had occurred to me also; if she'd been feral there would have probably been kittens by now, although there aren't many free-roaming toms in the area...I suspect she was an abandoned house cat thrown out into an unfamiliar and scary world...may have been spayed, but unable to feel comfortable where she's found herself,,,oh, if they could only talk to us...! We have a large student population here: near to Georgetown and American Universities, and wonder if someone just left her to fend for herself when they went back home....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #8

Big step forward Eileen. I am so very pleased for you and her! You have been so very patient with her and this is now starting to pay off

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #9

That's an incredibly positive step Eileen. Well done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
23-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #10

Great news x