Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #41

Re: Cat-friendly breed of dog?

fold up small

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
fold up small
That made me smile too! I know what you mean though, the trouble is they often start small and just stretch out. Caleb can take up most of the room on our sofa or bed!!

I do agree that many dogs can learn to live with cats, but some greys are just too 'keen' and I have known of several to have killed cats. White Lodge will 'cat test' and they are often fostered first which gives potential owners a lot more info on the temperament, etc. Fostering seems to be more common place now than kennels, which is an unnatural environment for a dog I think. Our lurcher, Caleb was fostered for 3 weeks before we had him, and lived with cats in his foster home. However, we don't think he had lived in a home prior to that and it took months before he would go up or down stairs. He learnt to go up them first, but wouldn't go down so we had to carry the big baby! It was when we had Beauty, a foster dog who used the stairs no problem, he decided to go down them.

Catsey Veteran

22-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #43

Jusr thought I would share this pic of our previous dogs, Daisy, a greyhound & Ben, a lurcher happily sharing our bed with Misty & Sidney.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #44

What a lovely piccie Kim! How on earth did you keep your bedding so white with all those pets sleeping on it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
What a lovely piccie Kim! How on earth did you keep your bedding so white with all those pets sleeping on it?
........... and where do you and your oh sleep? In a nice wicker basket on the floor?

Catsey Veteran

22-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
The bedding is covered with an old white sheet, it must have been summer Fran, because you should see it at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
........... and where do you and your oh sleep? In a nice wicker basket on the floor?

Cats and dog sleep downstairs at night. Caleb does come into our room at night sometimes when he just wont settle on his own, he just whines and none of us would get any sleep

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
23-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #47

Oh Kim - that's a fab photo!!!!!!!!! I'm sold on the idea of a greyhound / whippet type thing now!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #48

CB, this is my sister's lurcher Jeff. He is about as small as you will get in a lurcher and he is a nice boy. Hope you can judge his size from his big sister Nell

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
23-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #49

It's strange, we were saying the other day how the next dog-not for a few years yet, till current two are 'in their prime', will be a rescue hairy lurcher[cat friendly] as they are such nice dogs. Jeff is really lovely DM
Good luck Charlie, hope you find the perfect hound!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
23-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #50

Jeff is lovely DM and Nell is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggeeeee!!!!!!

Thanks for the pics & thanks Luke, I hope so too. I'm not rushing anything tho as want to be really sure.