Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #21

Re: Cat-friendly breed of dog?

Another vote for staffies here.
However, if you're getting a pup it doesn't much matter - you will raise it and the cats will teach it manners. However, a puppy is way more difficult to raise than a kitten and I would ask anyone who goes out to work to think very very carefully.
If you're going for an adult it will have to be a cat-friendly one and it's up to you to ask and be sure that's what you get - either a juvenile from a breeder, a retired breeding bitch or a rescue. Many of the rescues cat-test their inmates.
Good luck
(You should have kept the one you rescued!)
(You could pop over to Dogsey and have a look at the rescues (particularly private rescues) there. Nae got her Tilly that way. You could even advertise yourself as potentially looking for a rescue)

Look at this boy - fabulous!
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=53166

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #22

Awwwww - Digby is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have kept that stray, but he was quite big and looks as though he would have eaten my cats for dinner!!! lol

I might take a look around some local rescue centres here at the weekend.

Although I love the idea of helping the Guide Dogs, I think I need to have a smaller dog really. I do only have a 2-bed-semi and 5 cats already.

Thanks for all the help though, Smudgley. It's definitely something that I'd consider again one day; maybe when I'm married and in a bigger house.

I did see an ad for some Yorky cross pups locally. Are they yappy, snappy little things too or would they be okay? I know it depends on how they are raised too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
19-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #23

Snappy / Yappy ~ Depends what the yorkie was crossed with
Not my type of dog though.
I would say if you want a nice little happy dog who will bond well with your cats, go for a CKCS. Always a good family dog.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
19-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #24

there`s a yorkshire terrier that lives near us its a trappy little thing it even come after my poor clyde i had to lift him up because it was chewing at his ancles .however i wouldn`t say they were all like that

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
19-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #25

IMO any breed can get on with cats if they are intruduced properly. I think a puppy or a rescue who was used to cats.

Mine get on well with Dusty (miniature dacchie, very handbag size but weighs like a brick! lol) and Charlie (Border Collie X Springer), but not so much Maddy, she's a little mad with the cats and u have to keep telling her to leave them AN LIE DOWN FOR GAWD'S SAKE MISSY!

She's a Weimaraner,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #26

I think if you want a dog but do not have a set idea on breed then go for a mongrel or crossbreed in rescue or needing to be rehomed. Maybe a young dog under the age of 12 months - you can see then the overall size of the dog a problem with mongrels (as they do not tend to follow a height pattern ) or maybe even an older dog being rehomed due toa marriage breakup or someone going into care past the nutty puppy stage or you could see what breed catches your eye then have a look at resuce for that breed dogs being rehomed for a variety of reasons.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #27

Labrador is to big.
Handbag size is to small

Do you mind long hair - grooming?

How about a whippet or a rescue greyhound? greyhounds fit into the smallest of spaces someone on here has a rescue greyhound at the moment who is it my minds gone.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Labrador is to big.
Handbag size is to small

Do you mind long hair - grooming?

How about a whippet or a rescue greyhound? greyhounds fit into the smallest of spaces someone on here has a rescue greyhound at the moment who is it my minds gone.
I don't mind long hair / grooming as I do the cats anyway.

I like the idea of a whippet or rescue greyhound. I'll look into that I think. Thanks Kazz.

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #29

Someone on here has a rescue greyhound who is is??? is it Kim????

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Someone on here has a rescue greyhound who is is??? is it Kim????
I think you're right Kazz.......