Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
12-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #1

New to the Cat World

Hello everyone.

I am brand new to the cat world.

I don't have pet cat's per say, but I've had 2 cats hanging around my home for about 6 months now. One seems like it's semi-feral and the other runs away as soon as it sees me. I have decided to set up an area for them to keep them safe from the cold/heat and from other wildlife that can potentially kill them (as I live in a rural area) plus fresh food and water. I would love to get them used to people, but I am highly allergic so can't have them in the house, plus I have a house full of dogs so don't think that would go very well. I have also been looking for feral cat organizations to help me get them spayed/neutered and vet checked.

I'm hoping to gain lots of useful information here from all of you that have experience with cats since I know next to nothing about them. I will be asking a lot of questions that may seem like common sense to you all, so please be patient with me.

I'm not sure if they are boys or girls. Hopefully I can catch them quickly to get them vet checked. I haven't been able to get pictures of the other one, just the little grey one. I named him Mijo (if he's a boy) or Mija (if a girl), pronounced "me-ho". It means "my boy/girl" in Spanish If the other one is a girl i'm going to name her Katica.

Sorry about the long post.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
12-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #2

Re: New to the Cat World

Hi there! How lovely of you to care for these 'gentlemen of the road' I'm sure they appreciate your kindness. There are members here who have experience with strays and ferals and may I suggest you contact CP for their advice re neutering. Good Luck x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
12-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

Hi Timber, what beautiful cats. Keeping them safe, warm and fed is the main priority and you seem to be covering that really well. There are live cat traps that can be used for trapping ferals but the Canadian animal charities will tell you how to use them. In England we have Cats' Protection that uses these and lends them out. They are quite humane. Well done for getting photos, the cats must be starting to trust you. I hope you succeed with the neutering plan, look forward to more pictures of the cats and your dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Thank you so much for caring for these cats. Your photos show a really beautiful puss - I do hope that they can come to trust you enough to let you help them as you plan.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #5

welcome to catsey.
How nice that you are caring for these cats, the photos are stunning. Good luck and ask away, people on here will be pleased to help.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
12-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

Hullo timber and welcome to catsey. That cat sure is beautiful. What stunning eyes.Good for you for taking the two of them on and caring for them.I'm sure that, given time, they will come to trust you.

Global Moderator

12-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

Hello Timber a warm welcome to Catsey....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
12-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #8

Thank you all. Such a kind and warm welcome.
I have found some feral cat organizations that help out so will be filling out their applications today. Considering that they have been around for a while now makes me believe they are either 2 boys or 2 girls as I would have seem kittens by now.

Hopefully I can get some pictures of the white one soon.

I also bought them some canned wild pink salmon. Is that ok to feed?

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #9

i should think the salmon will be a lovely treat for them Timber