Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
06-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #1

Long haired cats

Jac is our first long haired cat, now I have had long haired dogs before Just wondering how everyone goes about grooming longer haired cats. Jac is very fluffy and daily his coat is getting longer. His fur is so soft - a friend in rescue says that his coat is like that of a Chincilla Persian.

So your thoughts on grooming. Presently I use a wide toothed comb, which I find is best every day, not for long as dont want to alienate him against grooming but enough to keep him tidy. One day I clean the coat with a unscented baby wipe and the next I comb unscented baby talc (scant amount) through the coat as the talc is supposed to stop the coat tangling. So far so good.

So any thoughts or ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Re: Long haired cats

Sorry Velvet, I've never "tried" a long haired cat. Kizzy has the longest fur of any cat I've had and she doesn't need me to help her keep it in tip top condition. I guess she's a "semi".

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

I hope his video will prove to be helpful to you, it also shows you which grooming tools are useful...

Catsey Veteran

07-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #4

Thank you for the link. I wouldn't be as firm as the groomer - I painstakingly very gently comb through the coat little bits at a time, try to make it a special time for fussing etc and treats at the end of it

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
11-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Had a few long haired cats, Chesi is long haired and silky too. I don't necessarily agree with this video, the 1st brush she uses I would use last, I use the wide tooth comb 1st as it gets any tangles out gently without pulling the poor cat about! I have always brushed my long haired cats daily and used a wide tooth comb, then a flea comb, and a special pure bristle Mason & Pearson brush, in this order it seems to be really enjoyed and stress free. To pick up any loose fine hairs take one pair of semi moist hands and repeatedly stroke!. I get a lot of hair from him daily. In the spring I put it out in the garden for the blue tits for their nest.

Catsey Veteran

08-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #6

By far the best grooming tool is the wide toothed comb