Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #11

Re: Preparing Merlin for Winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I found myself putting "cat steps" around the house....so they could get onto the bed the sofa etc just noxes upturned.

And another point I started to raise their food dishes slightly too to help their digestion....found an argos catalogue was just the right height..........
I did the same and used phone directories etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #12

Elaine did I mention this to you before.....I knew I'd mentioned it to someone.....could have been you or Janey...

Another thing I found useful (amazing how all this comes back) was making sure they (Cleo mainly) went outside even for a stroll in the garden ....some of you may recall Cleo's nightly stroll in the winter..... ...up the garden I found it gave her an appitite being a brief walk outside each day as she wanted to do this less and less as she got older especialy after Oscar was PTS but the fresh air helped her appitite.

Kept her "mind alive" as much as anything.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #13

Merlin does still go out in the garden in warm weather - but not as regularly perhaps as he should. I may try tempting him out for a little walk every day when its dry. I agree that is probably a good thing.

He is still able to jump up onto our bed at the moment or onto a chair. He does not try for anything higher I'm glad to say.

Raising his food bowl is a good suggestion and I will try that too.

(Sadly, I think that simplyK9.co.uk has gone - the lovely bed that Elaine mentioned was on that site too, along with the Geriatri-UM, but I could not order and tried to send them a comment - the URL was not found)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #14

Angie, when Misty was quite old and arthritic, and the jump to the bed was a bit too much for her, I brought a footstool upstairs to make it easier for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #15

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...&pf_id=PD5105A

Seems to be in stock - my cats love this.

I used to use heat pads on v cold nights.

Friend with oldie bought a knitted 'jumper' for a v small dog and her cat wore this on cold nights, he didn't seem to mind.

Going to give her the link for the food. SHe also feeds him little and often.

CM

Catsey Veteran

19-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #16

Yes, that is just so cute calismum! It is the same bed that Elaine recommended. I am ordering it today!

(I have ordered the Kronch salmon oil and the Geriatri-UM tablets today already today.) I am hoping that Merlin will love the salmon oil and we will have to get used to popping the other pill in his mouth - hope it is not too large!

Thanks everyone again for your supportive and thoughtful comments. Next on the list is to raise his food bowl a bit and take him for walks around the garden. He is fast asleep on MIL's lap atm, so I won't wake him up. I quite often take him for walks around the house, cuddled up in my arms - we visit all the windows to see what's going on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #17

Angie - I know this is posted in food & nutrition, so this isn't really on topic, but have you got a 'Snugglesafe' microwave heated 'hot water bottle'? They are fab. When Tizzie was growing older and frailer I found it excellent for making sure she was warm overnight. They hold their heat well over 12 hours, so you can cook it just before you go to bed and the house cools down and it will keep Merlin cosy till you're up and the house is warm again.

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #18

Thanks for your thought, dinahsmum - yes I have a snugglesafe - bought it before last winter and it was well used. His favourite place last year was by the kickheater in the kitchen and I used to put the snugglesafe there wrapped up in a towel. The only thing I have against it is that it is so hard - wish they made a gel-type one.

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #19

I've had an email from pet planet! The bed and some other things I ordered for Merlin have been shipped!

I saw a thermal "cushion" advertised, that looked just like the one that Eileen bought for Leia. It was half price and I ordered that too!

No emails yet about the salmon oil or the Geriatri-UM tablets - hope they come ASAP!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #20

Dear old Merlin is gonna be as snug as a bug in a rug this winter Cuddles to the old gent xxx